Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Pyrodex/Triple 7 powder or pellets??? >

Pyrodex/Triple 7 powder or pellets???

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Pyrodex/Triple 7 powder or pellets???

Old 09-26-2012, 08:38 AM
Spike

Default Pyrodex/Triple 7 powder or pellets???

Which would you choose? Pellets or powder and why? I'm shooting the TC Impact. Thanks
Old 09-26-2012, 08:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

None of your choices for me. I will only shoot BH 209 in an inline.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:06 AM
Spike

If you like the ability to work up your own load and make tweaks here and there with the powder charge then loose powder is the way to go.

If you like the convienence of drop and go and can find a bullet/sabot combination that works then use pellets.

More bang for your buck using loose powder as well.

I prefer loose, but after season I do plan on switching over to BH209.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default Bh209

I am a guy who shot pellets for 6-7 years and was satified with the results. I recently went to BH209 and I can tell you 2 things for sure.

1. It is silly how accurate you can be shooting BH209.
2. Cleanup is SO much easier with BH209 than with pellets it is not even funny.

I won't ever go back to pellets unless something drastically changes with them.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 09-26-2012, 09:40 AM
Typical Buck

Ditto to what every one has said. Loose is the way to go for both economical and developing an accurate load for your ML. If you can get BH209 I would seriously look at that powder. If it is to costly to you, then I would look at 777-2F. I was also going to recommend Swiss 3F, but its cost is pretty close to BH209 as well.

Once you develop your load that your ML likes or you are satisfied with. I would purchase a bunch of Lane Powder Vials or speed loaders that you can load up in advance when you either go shooting at the range or hunting.

Ed
Old 09-26-2012, 11:02 AM
Dominant Buck

If all you want to do is shoot a deer once a year and not play at the range like some of us, get a pound of loose Pyrodex RS. Its is inexpensive to shoot. Normally gives great results. And cleans up easy. If you want to shoot a lot, use black powder. It is the most cost effective powder out there.

I shoot on average five times a week. Each range session you can kiss 20-30 shots good bye. What do you think shooting BlackHorn 209 VS Black powder would cost me? Not to mention, only certain guns can shoot BlackHorn.

This idea of BlackHorn209 being a gift from the muzzleloader gods.. Sorry guys I don't agree. You can not clean the barrel with water and soap so you must use chemical cleaners. I don't find it more accurate then any other powder, BUT I do not shoot 200 yards either. 100 yards is about it for me. And any powder will do that, with all the power you need. And all the accuracy you need if you work up a load.

The most tempremental powder I have shot is BlackHorn 209. I had primers blow back in my face, primers blow out and stick in the breech plug, I had to purchase special primers much hotter then I normally shoot. Why?? Because Blackhorn 209 is tempermental. Got the right breech plug design for BlackHorn 209.. OH.. there is your problem By a new breech plug. Having hang fires.. OH... get a hotter primer the 209s your shooting are too cool.

Problems with BlackHorn 209 compared to any other powder.. its got to have its way or it don't play nice.

Clean up of BlackHorn 209 VS any other powder... while I can clean the barrel as fast with water as you can with chemicals, I win hands down in the breech plug department. It takes me twice as long to clean a breech plug to the condition I demand, shooting BlackHorn 209 then any other powder. There have been times I had to soak the plug and even scrape small spots with an ice pick to get this very hard.. I will call it carbon, off my plug. No other powder does that to me. Not even Triple Seven. The face of my breech plug in my Knight Disc was eaten off shooting BlackHorn. That same plug prior to Blackhorn probably had 500 rounds through it and was good as new. So.. you need a new breech plug.

If you want to keep it simple, and since your starting out, get a pound of Pyrodex RS or Triple Seven 2f, some bullets and go have fun. Later down the road, you can always experiment with the new stuff.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Pyrodex pellets or Pyrodex RS. Pyrodex is a very good and consistent powder: i used Pyrodex exclusively for years and killed a lot of game with it. Pyrodex is the most inexpensive powder available.

In my guns two Pyrodex pellets and 100 grains of Pyrodex RS shoots to the same point of aim. When hunting my gun was loaded at home with loose powder and my reloads were pellets. 777 is also a very good powder, never used 777 pellets and can't speak to them.

i've never used BH209 and likely never will. Some friends who tried BH 209 went back to Pyrodex and 777. Go ahead and use Pyrodex: Just clean your gun soon after shooting.

Last edited by falcon; 09-26-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ain't nothing wrong with FFF Goex as well...

Just takes a little time to clean up...

So you have two cold ones instead of one...
Old 09-26-2012, 12:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by cayugad
If all you want to do is shoot a deer once a year and not play at the range like some of us, get a pound of loose Pyrodex RS. Its is inexpensive to shoot. Normally gives great results. And cleans up easy. If you want to shoot a lot, use black powder. It is the most cost effective powder out there.

I shoot on average five times a week. Each range session you can kiss 20-30 shots good bye. What do you think shooting BlackHorn 209 VS Black powder would cost me? Not to mention, only certain guns can shoot BlackHorn.

This idea of BlackHorn209 being a gift from the muzzleloader gods.. Sorry guys I don't agree. You can not clean the barrel with water and soap so you must use chemical cleaners. I don't find it more accurate then any other powder, BUT I do not shoot 200 yards either. 100 yards is about it for me. And any powder will do that, with all the power you need. And all the accuracy you need if you work up a load.

The most tempremental powder I have shot is BlackHorn 209. I had primers blow back in my face, primers blow out and stick in the breech plug, I had to purchase special primers much hotter then I normally shoot. Why?? Because Blackhorn 209 is tempermental. Got the right breech plug design for BlackHorn 209.. OH.. there is your problem By a new breech plug. Having hang fires.. OH... get a hotter primer the 209s your shooting are too cool.

Problems with BlackHorn 209 compared to any other powder.. its got to have its way or it don't play nice.

Clean up of BlackHorn 209 VS any other powder... while I can clean the barrel as fast with water as you can with chemicals, I win hands down in the breech plug department. It takes me twice as long to clean a breech plug to the condition I demand, shooting BlackHorn 209 then any other powder. There have been times I had to soak the plug and even scrape small spots with an ice pick to get this very hard.. I will call it carbon, off my plug. No other powder does that to me. Not even Triple Seven. The face of my breech plug in my Knight Disc was eaten off shooting BlackHorn. That same plug prior to Blackhorn probably had 500 rounds through it and was good as new. So.. you need a new breech plug.

If you want to keep it simple, and since your starting out, get a pound of Pyrodex RS or Triple Seven 2f, some bullets and go have fun. Later down the road, you can always experiment with the new stuff.
I agree with Cayugad almost 100% on this. The only difference of opinion is the use of Triple 7. I don't care for this powder.
I do not find BH209 more accurate nor easier to clean than black powder or Pyrodex. Just different methods (cleaners). After two range sessions with BH209 no one can tell me they clean their guns with only a couple patches. If they do then they aren't cleaning their gun effectively. Probably because they need to go referee an NFL game somewhere>> My last cleaning took no less than about 15 patches. Plus Cayugad's mention of cleaning the breech plug face is also true. I want all the carbon buildup off. This takes a brush, pick and a few more patches.
If I were you I would use Pyrodex - either RS or P.

Last edited by bronko22000; 09-26-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

We all get different results. It takes me 5 minutes at the most to clean my gun using BH 209. Including the breech plug.

About the same time as cleaning BP from a Hawken.

BH 209 doesn't absorb moisture, is very consistent shot to shot, good power, no swabbing no matter how many shots you shoot, and no misfires.

That's my experience, and I can't say the same for any other powder for a ML.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.