Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Traditions .32 crocket rifle >

Traditions .32 crocket rifle

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Traditions .32 crocket rifle

Old 09-14-2012, 07:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default Traditions .32 crocket rifle

I finally broke down and ordered me a .32 cal. I had wanted one for quite sometime and had put it off as long as I could resist temptation. I had wanted one to squirrel hunt with here in TN. I love messing around with ML's, but you can only eat so much deer meat and I thought I could enjoy a little extra hunting and squirrel gravy and biscuits sound good too. So, my philosophy is its always better to ask for forgiveness than permission so I had one of those moments that I forgot to tell my wife...LOL.. Not really. I could get by with that but how many times can you use the same excuse. I've known my wife since 1971 so I am already in trouble...LOL... Actually I was debating between the .32 and a .58 GMA barrel, and I went with the one I figured that I would use the most. Does anyone have any experience with the .32 traditions crocket rifle? I have seen both good with an occasional bad review. I just figured it all came down just like any other gun.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had one (key word HAD).

Never could get it to shoot accurately enough (to suit me) for squirrel hunting, and I tried a lot of load combinations in it. I never got better than 1 1/2 - 2" groups at 25 yards with it. The "flyer" seemed to be built in to every group.

I've heard a lot of reviews contradicting mine, so there must be a lot of good ones with a few lemons thrown in to keep things interesting and I just got one of the lemons.

Hope yours does better than mine did.

(BTW - you'll find I'm NOT a Traditions fan. I've owned 3 Traditions guns and all were far less than I expected.)
Old 09-15-2012, 06:39 PM
Fork Horn

Wabi,
I appreciate your post and your opinion. I think I remember someone posted about the crocket rifle being less than acceptable in the accuracy department. However, I just had to try it out for myself. I hope it will shoot well enough to squirrel hunt. I have seen all different types of reports on this rifle and just could no longer resist trying one out. When I receive it and experiment with her a bit I will post the results. Maybe I will get lucky and get a good one. I am not a traditions fan either but that never stopped me yet. I am not a CVA fan and I own three of them and honestly they all shoot as well if not better than my TC's. However, I do have a pedersoli blue ridge that is undoubtably the best PRB rifle I have ever shot. I have a Optima that put my encore to shame. The optima is no where near as finicky as my Encore. So i will give the little .32 a try and be more than fair when I try it out. If it doesn't perform I can always use a good walking stick...
Old 09-17-2012, 09:36 AM
Fork Horn

I love my Crockett. Dead on for me w/ 25g of fffg and a PRB is good out to about 50 yds...
Old 09-17-2012, 01:18 PM
Fork Horn

That's awesome I can't wait for mine to be delivered. I received an email notifying me that it is enroute. I hope mine shoots well. I haven't been this excited about a gun in along time. I can't wait to get in the woods and shoot some squirrels. I love to deer hunt but I have been missing out on squirrel hunting for a while. That is one great looking rifle.

V/R
Mike
Old 09-18-2012, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I have had mine for a few years now. I bought it to help out of friend liquidate his assets during a bad time. I must say I love shooting mine and though I never hunted squirrels with it it is very accurate.

I'm shooting 25 grs. of FFFg. and PRB. If I remember right the patch is .010"
Old 09-19-2012, 06:44 PM
Fork Horn

Well, I recieved my Crocket rifle today. It arrived as predicted by Traditions. I actually haven't been this excited about a gun in a long time. I couldn't wait to get home to open the package. Normally I would have been home; however, I had several doctors appointments to day and Stress and truama group therapy. However, I was absolutely surprised when I opened the package. The wood to metal fit was perfect and it is truly a gorgeous little rifle. The rifle is quite pettiet. I was surprised at the quality of craftsmanship that was actually put into the rifle. The blueing would rival Rugers blueing on the M77. Tomorrow will be the day to see how she shoots. If it is as good as it looks I will be more than happy. The only thing is I have to figure out how to post pictures on here to show the rifle and targets. Any help in that area would be greatly appreciated.

V/R
Mike