Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
A little off topic but still Hunting related. >

A little off topic but still Hunting related.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

A little off topic but still Hunting related.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default A little off topic but still Hunting related.

Our state passed a law to have our Archery Season open 2 weeks early this year, it starts October 1st. Now the part that bothers a-lot of us NY Hunters is just last week they passed another law that will allow Youth Hunters age 14 and 15 to hunt for buck or does during the archery season on Columbus day weekend with a rifle or shotgun.
This is a 3 day hunt that's suppos to introduce youth hunters to deer season. The way a-lot of us see it is it will send every big buck and most all other deer into hiding and become nocturnal, and also ruin Bow Season.
During our regular deer season after opening day bucks become scarce as do most other deer, having this youth hunt will do the same but earlier, what do you all think of it?
(BP)
Old 09-19-2012, 06:18 PM
Dominant Buck

As long as there is some time between when they hear gunshots, and then the actual rifle season, the deer will calm down a little. What bothers deer more in my opinion is activity in the woods. People walking, moving things, scents, ATVs, and just noise and commotion in general. I think they cue in on that and go nocturnal.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:57 PM
Fork Horn

I agrre with Cayugad. I dont believe the deer would associate the noise of rifle fire to humans as much as human activity in their house. When human activity increases in the woods the deer are more apt to go nocturnal. Older bucks may become nocturnal just because... I would doubt that a 3 day youth hunt will make a huge impact. On Ft Campbell we have muzzle loader and shotgun season in at the same time as archery and it is a lengthy season with liberal limits and it seems to make no difference in the activity or behavior patterns of the deer. Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck.

V/R
Mike
Old 09-19-2012, 07:03 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Our bow season here starts this coming Saturday the 22 nd , youth season started sept 8 th .so the deer are getting shot at with rifles for two weeks before I get a chance to go after them with a bow. A few youth hunters seem to have less impact than all the upland game hunters with their shotguns walking every field. That seems to hurt more . But I understand how you feel.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:30 PM
Typical Buck

I feel your pain but if we don't turn the trend on declining hunter numbers our sport and the benefits we bring to game management will be lost. As more and more people leave rural America for the city, it's difficult to recruit outdoorsmen. ( and women )

I think anything that will introduce new hunters to the sport is good.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:41 PM
Typical Buck

I don't think it is going to make much of a difference. They should calm down some. I certainly am in favor of getting more kids out hunting and 3 days isn't much.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Arkansas bow season started last sat, its two weeks early this year as well, not really sure why the game and fish did this. We have for many years now had a youth hunt the weekend prior to opening of gun season here. I haven't seen where it spooks deer any in the areas where I hunt. I agree we need more kids into hunting.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oh believe me Im all in favor of getting more Kids into hunting. The youths 14 and 15 also can hunt our Regular Big Game Season also, so having this early hunt for 3 days is really no different.
The difference to me is if they fill a tag during this early hunt then that's it for them for regular season, there done. I'd think the kids would have better experience during the regular season when they can be a part of the Real Deer Season and get to experience that along with spending time with all the hunters and not just some for a few days.
The other thing is that Kids lose Intrest fast, if they see a bunch of deer during this youth hunt and get lucky and shoot a Big Buck they will ecpect to do this everytime they go hunting. So when they hunt during our regular big game season and dont see many deer or dont shoot another big buck this will discourage them and they'll lose intrest.
A friend of mines nephew hunted with us last season for the first time, he got to hunt his uncles farm wich has a-lot of deer and is only hunted by a few. He saw a-lot of deer and shot his first Doe, he was thrilled.
Then from then on out everywhere he hunted with us he expected to see a-lot of deer wich he did'nt, some days he did'nt see any, he never got another shot off all season. All he did the whole season was complain at the lack of deer sightings, he just sat in his deer stand and Texed messages on his phone all day.
We told him to get used to it because this is what the real deer hunting world and season is all about, he did'nt like it. We tried to explain to him that you dont see tons of deer everytime you go hunting, you have to become a hunter and scouter and learn deer movements and that hunting on your uncles deer preserve is'nt the same as hunting elsewhere. He was'nt too excited about becomming a Hunter he just wanted to shoot deer.
So sure the youth hunt is good, but the youths will expect to see as many deer when they go out during our regular deer season and they wont.
And I dont know where a-lot of you hunt, but here when the shooting starts our deer are smart, they dissapear and stay that way. I can hunt after opening day on private land with tons of deer and go days without seeing any, mabey a few fawns now and then but the mature deer are nocturnal. I'll walk to my stand in the dark in the morning through a cut corn field in the fresh snow and see a thousand burning fresh deer tracks, then sit all day from sun up to sun down and never see a deer, that's the real life deer season here. For most if you dont score on a deer on opening morning you wont see another all season long, many give up after opening day and say the seasons over, there not lazy and giving up, their right. We have to really work to get a deer, it's not easy here.
I get most of my deer during late muzzleloading season, after things almost get back to normal and when the deer have to feed because the toll of old mother nature and the snow and cold force them to feed or not survive.
(BP)