Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Range Report on CVA Mountain Rifle!!! >

Range Report on CVA Mountain Rifle!!!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Range Report on CVA Mountain Rifle!!!

Old 09-10-2012, 07:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

How would it reduce cost on a SS barrel Ron?
Old 09-10-2012, 07:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

I guess I would really like to know what would make BPI think that a stainless barrel needed a colored weather shield finish. Weather Shield will eventually wear or chip and when it does how do you fix it. If it were left as a regular stainless barrel it would be easy to maintain over time.

The more I think about it the less I do like it... It just reduces my options to much.

As someone has already suggested there are many different 416 stainless formulations and a company can spec what they might want - so is the 416 that BPI is using a really dull or really bright natural finish that needs to be covered?

I know I am cynical about BPI but are they really trying to hide something that is not normal with a normal weapons grade stainless that we would expect to see?
Old 09-10-2012, 07:48 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by sabotloader
I guess I would really like to know what would make BPI think that a stainless barrel needed a colored weather shield finish. Weather Shield will eventually wear or chip and when it does how do you fix it. If it were left as a regular stainless barrel it would be easy to maintain over time.

The more I think about it the less I do like it... It just reduces my options to much.

As someone has already suggested there are many different 416 stainless formulations and a company can spec what they might want - so is the 416 that BPI is using a really dull or really bright natural finish that needs to be covered?

I know I am cynical about BPI but are they really trying to hide something that is not normal with a normal weapons grade stainless that we would expect to see?
Probably got a container load of blemished barrels cheap and the coating was the best marketing option.
Maybe they should have coated the inside of muleys with several coats near the breechplug area so it isn't bigger there where the bullet sits.

Last edited by 1874sharpsshooter; 09-10-2012 at 07:51 PM.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well, there is no 25" ML barrel on any other model. They couldn't have all been seconds.
I don't think they are hiding anything. They were just trying to come up with enough changes to call it a mountain rifle.

TC uses this coating too. Why not say the same things about them?

I'll admit i'm not happy about the barrel being looser at the charge, but I sort of suspected it. The inexpensive Wolf I have has been the only barrel i've had that wasn't that way.

That includes 6 other CVA's, Omega, 2 Renegades, 2 GPR's, and a Tradition Ultra Light.

I guess the easiest cure is to use sabots. I don't feel right about using a scope in ML season, so just hunting the rifle seasons from now on makes me feel at a disadvantage to the rifle hunters, and i'd prefer that to having an advantage in ML season. It also lets me use sabots.

Even though the coating hasn't chipped for me. It could in the future. Does anybody know if the coating could be removed?
Old 09-11-2012, 04:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
How would it reduce cost on a SS barrel Ron?
My guess is by covering the barrel, steps in finishing the barrel may possibly be eliminated. Not saying, just saying.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:45 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
My guess is by covering the barrel, steps in finishing the barrel may possibly be eliminated. Not saying, just saying.
This was my guess too but I don't know the steps that are in the finishing process of stainless steel? Is it easier to bead blast a barrel or coat it with weatherguard? Is there more to it than just bead blasting? I don't know. I really do think that it is just another thing to market.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Exactly.

Not the first time he's turned around what I said. A insult is easier than asking me what I meant.
OK your off the hook pal. My baddddddddddd!!!!!

Now to figure out how to get in touch with them.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well, there is no 25" ML barrel on any other model. They couldn't have all been seconds.
I don't think they are hiding anything. They were just trying to come up with enough changes to call it a mountain rifle.

TC uses this coating too. Why not say the same things about them?
You are correct TC does use a Weather Shield product on the barrels - but none of theirs are stainless steel they are all mild steel that can also e blued.

Knight coats the outside of their barrels also with a clear coating.

I'll admit i'm not happy about the barrel being looser at the charge, but I sort of suspected it. The inexpensive Wolf I have has been the only barrel i've had that wasn't that way.

That includes 6 other CVA's, Omega, 2 Renegades, 2 GPR's, and a Tradition Ultra Light.

I guess the easiest cure is to use sabots. I don't feel right about using a scope in ML season, so just hunting the rifle seasons from now on makes me feel at a disadvantage to the rifle hunters, and i'd prefer that to having an advantage in ML season. It also lets me use sabots.

Even though the coating hasn't chipped for me. It could in the future. Does anybody know if the coating could be removed?
Old 09-11-2012, 07:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by rafsob
OK your off the hook pal. My baddddddddddd!!!!!

Now to figure out how to get in touch with them.
Ok, no harm done. Good luck getting it fixed.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by sabotloader
You are correct TC does use a Weather Shield product on the barrels - but none of theirs are stainless steel they are all mild steel that can also e blued.

Knight coats the outside of their barrels also with a clear coating.
I'll try and stay positive about the coating, and take care of it. I don't love, or hate the color. It's just what it is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.