Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Range Report on CVA Mountain Rifle!!! >

Range Report on CVA Mountain Rifle!!!

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Range Report on CVA Mountain Rifle!!!

Old 09-05-2012, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking Range Report on CVA Mountain Rifle!!!

Well changed my plans and went to the range and had to shoot the new rifle. I was very impressed. I had to sight in the rifle first and this went well. The Leupold is a dream of a scope to work with. I ended up shooting three different type bullets. I sighted in with the Hornady FPB 300 gr. and this went well and then after doing this I had a lot of fun shooting my groups. All groups were shot with 90 grs. of BH209 at 50 yd. distances. All bullets were 300 grs in weight.

First I grouped the Hornady FPB 300 gr. bullets:

This pasty is the larger one and you can see the size of the group. I shot all these targets at 50 yds. So this group is considered ok for hunting purposes, but not mine.

Next I loaded up The Hornady XTP bullets:

Now this was a 6 shot group and I was very pleased. I can't wait till next week and shoot this gun out to 100 yds.

Last I shot the Parker bullets:

Now these bullets performed very nicely. And I can expect to see great groups out to 100 yds next week. This 6 shot group was the best. I love the XTP and the Parkers for sure!!!

I must say that during my stay at the range I never swabbed the barrel once with the BH209. It is great to use.

The recoil was very nice and din't bother me at all. The gun is light, but the recoil was not bad. The recoil pad is not as soft as some of the newer pad coming on the market today, but it worked well. I did have one problem with the gun.

After my shooting session and while I was getting ready to clean the rifle, I noticed that the weather guard chipped off around the muzzle:

Now this was the only thing that really bothered me about a new gun! I don't thnk I should experience this after the first shoot. I guess you can say I am not a happy person with this condition! The company should have known the this area of the barrel would be subject to severe and violent activity. They should have paid more attention to the coating in this area.

Other then the coating chipping off, I am happy with this gun. Now I have to figure out who to call to let them know I am unhappy with this problem and how we can solve it. Any ideas? Seems that when deal with a foreign company, I can expect to be prepared to go up against a wall.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd call them up. I shot mine today too, and I didn't get any chipping.

One thing I did do is take off that new hard recoil pad, and put the one off my Wolf on it. I talked to CVA today, and they don't know why the new pads are so hard. Go figure.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Muley, You going soft on us? A big ol mtn man like you shooting those sidelocks should make even a hard recoil pad seem tame.
RASOB - it will be interesting to see what CVA has to say about the chipping issue. If I were to design the rifle I would have stopped the weathershield type coating just outside the crown. Afterally the barrel is SS. That was one of the pluses for me in buying the Accura over the Triumph. I wanted the SS and not a weather shield coated chrome moly barrel.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:30 PM
Dominant Buck

Very nice shooting there. Especially those Parkers. That is a heck of a load.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Muley, You going soft on us? A big ol mtn man like you shooting those sidelocks should make even a hard recoil pad seem tame.
RASOB - it will be interesting to see what CVA has to say about the chipping issue. If I were to design the rifle I would have stopped the weathershield type coating just outside the crown. Afterally the barrel is SS. That was one of the pluses for me in buying the Accura over the Triumph. I wanted the SS and not a weather shield coated chrome moly barrel.
Mountain men never lived as long as me.

I have a crappy shoulder. It's not fond of recoil.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

What did you use to show the pictures? Photobucket is down.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:55 PM
Typical Buck

Rafsob,
Did they use 416 grade stainless steel under that coating?
Very nice first outing.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

OK old man - I'll forgive you. Maybe you should go to Walmart and get a Limbsaver slip on to use to sight in your new toy. I use one when sighting in my bog boys. Like my Browning 78 in .45-70 with its steel cresent buttplate. That's a punisher on both ends. So is my Ruger #1 in .405 Win.
I haven't found a ML I need it on yet. Maybe if I got a big old .58 that shoots those big balls.
RASOB - forgot to mention. Nice shooting.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:59 PM
Typical Buck

They need to get rid of that weather guard coating in my opinion. I don't understand why it is on stainless steel!
Old 09-05-2012, 01:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bronko.........Normally, i'd be fine, but I cracked a rib last week. The shooting wrecked any healing i'd gotten so far. This is going to be a painful hunt. It starts this Sat. OUCH!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.