Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Blue Tongue: off topic >

Blue Tongue: off topic

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Blue Tongue: off topic

Old 08-25-2012, 06:23 AM
Typical Buck

Default Blue Tongue: off topic

Just wondering if your area is being affected by blue tongue. The areas I hunt here in the midwest are being hit hard. We are finding a ton of dead deer. The bright side if there is one, is that we had a very good birthing this year, most does with two to three fawns and the winter we had this past year was the mildest one on record. May just be God's way of keeping some things in check.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:01 AM
Dominant Buck

Wisconsin is still battling CWD (Chronic Waste Disease) but so far I have not heard of Blue Tongue in the State. I hope it don't make it here. Our herd is down enough. Do they know what causes the spread of that?
Old 08-25-2012, 08:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

We got hit with it real bad about 13 years a go in northern AR. So far I have not seen any sign of it here.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:37 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
Wisconsin is still battling CWD (Chronic Waste Disease) but so far I have not heard of Blue Tongue in the State. I hope it don't make it here. Our herd is down enough. Do they know what causes the spread of that?
With the mild winter and drought this year, the midge fly is causing this illness. I just hope we can get some cool weather in a hurry.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:29 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by lemoyne
We got hit with it real bad about 13 years a go in northern AR. So far I have not seen any sign of it here.
I thought I read in the paper it was suspected in some dead deer found near Flippin, AR.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

If this is the same as hemorragic disease, then yes. We had two deer on our property last years. But the ones we had were in recovery. They had the hoof nails growing back in. This one was a young spike: