Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Need a Antelope or deer now. >

Need a Antelope or deer now.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Need a Antelope or deer now.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:24 PM
Dominant Buck

Bison I have had a number of times. When I would visit South Dakota I always ate Bison burger, Bison Steaks, etc. Funny is, most of the time it will be excellent. But I remember one restaurant that served me a Bison Burger.. I couldn't get past the stink of that thing to let alone eat it. When I pointed this out to the waitress.. she took it away, never charged me, and brought me a nice hamburger.

We were camping in the Black Hills and purchased some Bison Steaks we cooked over the camp fire (with a liberal supply of ice cold beer back then) and those were excellent steaks (of course I cooked them) The best wild meat steak I ever had was when my friend brought back a young bull elk from Colorado and invited me over for elk steak. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. I even warned him he better lock his freezer. Man that was good!!! It was better then the one elk I shot in my life. I mean mine was good meat, but his was exceptional. It must have something to do with that they eat, and how they were harvested and treated.

Same with antelope. I had an antelope roast once that I don't think the dog would have eaten. Man that was bad. But yet we had some antelope back strap steaks that were butterflied and they were excellent.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:28 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Next trip to SD , you stop by and I'll grill you up some buffalo and antelope , better yet our home raised goat meat. Nothing better.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

They say calf elk is the best of all meat, but who has the heart to shoot one?

I thought of it, because it would be easier to get the meat out for me, but I don't think I could pull the trigger.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:39 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter

I thought of it, because it would be easier to get the meat out for me, but I don't think I could pull the trigger.
The devil could. Take him with you

Old 08-08-2012, 04:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am, but he has a bull tag. The rest of us have cow tags.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter

The best elk to kill is a spike. The meat is tender and tasty. The animal is 1 1/2 year old, and has some size for to fill the freezer. I can write this opinion with confidence, because at one time when hunting with pardners we ate 3 or 4 different elk every year for several. In the years since we have eaten every type of elk imaginable. Those years when we had a butcher party after an elk kill, and split the meat evenly, between us, allowed our families to eat every elk killed that year including calf, through big old 6 point bull with 370 antler. Spike elk is good eating. The only thing that makes him better than the same age cow, is his size.

These days, i no longer am resident of Montana hunting elk. What i bring to the freezer is doe deer. Wife comments nearly every meal how good they taste, and how tender they chew. She used to bring home some rib eye beef steak she bought on sale for to eat. It has been years now since she has; she likes the doe rounds, and chops, and that says a lot.

Thinking about eating the goat meat makes me hungry. Now, i understand how/why Chet hunts them stinky old bucks. The family fall back on the good eating goat. My guess is they jerk the bucks, or make them into sausage.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:27 PM
Dominant Buck

My friend raises milk goats. And he makes goat jerky out of the young bucks. Its pretty good stuff. I never ate any goat roast or steaks. I guess I will have to get my hands on a young one, raise it up and then butcher it. Can they be house broke?
Old 08-08-2012, 06:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by cayugad
My friend raises milk goats. And he makes goat jerky out of the young bucks. Its pretty good stuff. I never ate any goat roast or steaks. I guess I will have to get my hands on a young one, raise it up and then butcher it. Can they be house broke?
What a meanie!
Old 08-08-2012, 06:50 PM
Typical Buck

I shot a young deer last year at the end of the summer. Still had a couple spots on the hind quarter but most were faded away. Best meat I have ever ate!
Old 08-08-2012, 06:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Even shooting a calf it will be bigger than any deer, so still plenty of meat for me. My problem is getting the meat out, and a cow weighs 500lbs. Getting tough to handle for this old man.