Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Palmetto pics, new toy received >

Palmetto pics, new toy received

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Palmetto pics, new toy received

Old 07-26-2012, 07:49 AM
Fork Horn

Default Palmetto pics, new toy received

I bought this .50cal Inline Palmetto for a really bargain, 22" barrel, 1:28 twist rifle on Sunday, received it only today via courier.
Nice rifle to hold but I'm still very curious about it's accuracy and handling, the shooting range will have to wait another week.
It came with 2 extra breech-plugs, one for no11 caps and one for musket-caps and then quite a few extras like lube and bullets etc.
I will post a range report as soon as I have tested it
Attached Thumbnails Palmetto pics, new toy received-palmetto-1.jpg   Palmetto pics, new toy received-palmetto.jpg  
Old 07-26-2012, 07:54 AM
Dominant Buck

It looks nice. Kind of like a Knight LK-II or Wolverine with that pull knob cocking lever. Until I know the rifle, I would not be charging it too hard. No more then 100 grains, and even that I would stay away from. But it should be a good shooter. I will be looking for your range report. With that #11 cap ignition, it might not shoot pellets, but should do just great with loose powder like Pyrodex RS.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Glad you got a good deal Wildeboer. I'm a fan of wood stocks, which adds to it's appeal for me.

But DANG! That's what I would call "overscoped". It would look a lot better with a smaller scope and lower rings.

Looking forward to the first range report. What kind of bullets came with it?
Old 07-26-2012, 08:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Those scope rings gave me a black eye.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:19 AM
Fork Horn

Scope rings first thing I noticed. If you remove the rear (open) sight, you can put lower rings on, better for quick sight picture. Great looking rifle, if it shoots as good as it looks and I hope it does......sweet.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:22 AM
Fork Horn

The scope is a little high, he didn't want to remove the open sights and needed to mount it over the rear-sight. I will change it though in the future.

We dont have pellets in South Africa, we only have Sannadex-powder and now "Buschalk"(useless). Real blackpowder is quite scarce and pricey if you find it
My usual loads are around 75-90gr Sannadex by voulme, which is less powerfull as the real Blackpowder, around 10-12%.
I'm gonna test both the no11caps and musket-caps and see what works the best, I received 300 musket-caps with the rifle but I do have a few packs of no11 caps, standard and magnums.

I received a few loose 370gr Maxi's(maxi-ball as you know them) and 395gr Bushvelder(local brand). I dont like the heavy bullets and will try Harvester sabots with 230gr XTP hollow-points, a liitle flatter trajectory but with enough KE to put meduim-sized game down. The powerbelts/sabots didn't materialize in the parcel, but I'm not gonna bother him about it. The rifle and extras was allready a bargain.

Thanks for the advice and interest
Old 07-26-2012, 05:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by cayugad
It looks nice. Kind of like a Knight LK-II or Wolverine with that pull knob cocking lever. Until I know the rifle, I would not be charging it too hard. No more then 100 grains, and even that I would stay away from. But it should be a good shooter. I will be looking for your range report. With that #11 cap ignition, it might not shoot pellets, but should do just great with loose powder like Pyrodex RS.
That was my first thoughts too Dave.
Nice looking rifle.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good looking rifle congratulations
Old 07-27-2012, 07:30 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys, i have already lowered the scope with other mounts, I might just have a hour tomorrow to quickly shoot it on the range, all will depend on the weather.