Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Ballistic Programs >

Ballistic Programs

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Ballistic Programs

Old 07-17-2012, 09:31 AM
Spike

Default Ballistic Programs

what is the best free ballistic program?
Old 07-17-2012, 01:12 PM
Fork Horn

I use biggameinfo.com
Old 07-17-2012, 04:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

In the Black Powder Reference Forum.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...lculators.html
Old 07-18-2012, 05:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have use all the ones mentioned by the guys here, and they all do the job but here is the one I like best.
http://www.mega.nu/traj.html
Old 07-18-2012, 06:11 AM
Fork Horn

I really like the ballistics program from the hand loads site since it can figure up your approximate BC for unknown projectiles. Thanks for posting that!
Old 07-18-2012, 06:27 AM
Spike

i feel like the bc on the handlload one isnt to accurate because i heard that the barnes expanders bc was .204 and when i plugged the numbers into the handload one it came out as .168 or something close to that
Old 07-18-2012, 06:31 AM
Spike

But other than that i like the handload one alot easy too use...Thanks every one
Old 07-18-2012, 06:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

BCs are a floating number anyway, dependent upon velocity and the whim of the gods. You can pretty much expect the BCs published by bullet makers are either optimum or optimistic.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:22 AM
Fork Horn

The numbers may be off, but it can give an idea of what it does down range. I cannot find BC's for most cast conicals/bullets so it gives me a rough number to use. It can't possibly know the exact number as there is such a broad spectrum of "SWC" type designs. And a RN could be perfectly round or oblong. For me it's better than guessing...
Old 07-18-2012, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
BCs are a floating number anyway, dependent upon velocity and the whim of the gods. You can pretty much expect the BCs published by bullet makers are either optimum or optimistic.
Perhaps. For the most part i have found most all bullets fly as well or better than ballistic program calculation say they will. This very well may be because most all of my shooting has been at over 3000', and lately most of my shooting has been over 4000'.

Yesterday from actual clocked velocity, this here ballistic program calculation the BC of the 270g Deep Curl to be 0.213. This is significantly higher than Speer published BC for this bullet of 0.193.

Please don't construe what i wrote as disagreeing with you, i wish not to suffer your wrath.