Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
beating the rain clouds.. >

beating the rain clouds..

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

beating the rain clouds..

Old 06-16-2012, 09:31 AM
Dominant Buck

Default beating the rain clouds..

Today they are talking thunderstorms this afternoon, so I knew if I wanted to shoot I was going to be limited in time. So I hurried and weeded all three gardens this morning and then broke out my..

Traditions Woodsman Hawkins Flintlock 50 caliber. 1-48 twist.
Powder: Graf's and Sons 3f black powder. 4f for prime
Distance: 46 yards range finder told me
Shooting from a bench rest with open primitive sights.
Bullet is a .44 caliber .430 240 grain Hornady XTP
Sabot was a green EZ load Harvester (nothing easy about loading either).

I cleaned the barrel with alcohol and let it rest to dry. Shot #1 was a surprise to me. I'd forgot how light that set trigger was and knew as soon as the rifle went off, I was not on target. Also the ignition today was exceptionally fast. You'd of thought it was an inline. No tick Boom.. click boom, nothing. Just BOOM! I was using a german agate as my flint.

towards the end of my shooting, shots 6-9 I had the sight picture finally down pat. Holding just under the center of the bull to the left a hair. And it just kept laying them in that nice hole then. I know this Traditions has a fast lock time, but today with that new German Agate.. WOW!! I might have to buy a few more of these agates.

I was swabbing between shots with alcohol and then a dry patch. For some reason, maybe the humidity in the air, the rifle was filthy today. I've never taken so long as today to clean a traditional rifle. It just did not seem to want to come clean. Water bath, then alcohol, finally I broke out the Birchwood Casey #77 solvent and scrubbed with that. Three patches later I finally got a clean patch out of it.

This sure is a sweet little rifle. And 80 grains of 3f Graf's powder and that little XTP would be a good deer load. I would have shot longer but as I was loading for the last time a great big drop of rain hit the pan of the rifle. I wiped it out, re primed, shot and headed for the house.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's what I'm talking about! Somebody else shooting sabots out of a 1 in 48 inch twist barrel. Good shooting too. Too bad you didn't stretch it out to 100 yards.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:21 AM
Dominant Buck

In all honesty, past 75 yards I am getting a harder time then normal with the sight picture. But out to 50 yards, I feel very comfortable shooting open sights.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Cayugad, that will do nicely. Those flinters are fun when they are working right. But they can get really onery sometimes. Glad you had a good outing.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Dave

I sent you those storm clouds... they were here early last night and moving east... did not know you were planning to shoot today.

Looks like shot good as usual...

I got the front sight on the Lightning and hope to get out with it later this week...

Oh.. do any of your White 504's have a Wilson barrel on it? Next question... do you have a .451 White?
Old 06-17-2012, 08:06 PM
Dominant Buck

Yes my Bison has a Wilson Barrel and is .503 diameter. The Ultra Mag is .5045 diameter. I also have a Model 97 White model Whitetail Hunter with a 22 inch barrel in .451 caliber. Great rifle.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by cayugad
Yes my Bison has a Wilson Barrel and is .503 diameter. The Ultra Mag is .5045 diameter. I also have a Model 97 White model Whitetail Hunter with a 22 inch barrel in .451 caliber. Great rifle.
Great - I will get a package coming your way.

Do you feel that the .451 has a little larger bore bore than a standard 45 cal?
Old 06-18-2012, 04:31 PM
Fork Horn

Dave and Sabotloader, send some of that RAIN to use, it's been so dry here the ANTS are farting dust.