Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lyman problem

Old 05-28-2012, 05:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Lyman problem

I didn't mention this when I came back from shooting the Lyman flinter. Although the recoil wasn't bad I noticed that the rifle actually ripped the skin off my shoulder about 1/2" circle. Tonight after examing the rifle it appears that the screw hole for the butt plate screw was drilled at an angle that was not perpendicular to the butt plate. This caused the screw to go in on an angle leaving the sharp edge of the butt plate's screw hole above the screw head. And shooting with only a T shirt on the edge was enough to dig into my skin. I removed the screw and tapped in a 5/32" dowel to fill the hole. Then redrilled it at the correct angle and reinstalled the screw which is not flush to the butt plate.
I noticed also that there is about a .020" gap between the top portion of the butt plate and the stock. I am willing to take any suggestions as to how to fill this gap.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:52 PM
Banned

.020" isn't much so I'd suggest leaving it.

Got any pictures of the gap area?
Old 05-28-2012, 06:38 PM
Dominant Buck

I am trying to picture the gap you are talking about. I understand about the screw being crooked, and how you fixed that. Would taking off the butt plate, coating the area with some wood filler and then putting the plate back on and cleaning off the excess wood filler fix that gap?
Old 05-28-2012, 08:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Those kings of things don't bother me much and I would probably just leave it be. But if you want to fill the gap without refitting the butt plate (which can be tricky) get a pack of those wax blend sticks made by Dap and see how well you can match the color of your stock. If you get a decent match it will be hardly noticable.

http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?product_id=360
Old 05-29-2012, 06:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

The gap on mine was 1/8". I fixed it by selling the gun.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

the gap I am talking about is right here.
Attached Thumbnails Lyman problem-gpr.jpg  
Old 05-29-2012, 11:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Butt plates are a son of a gun to install properly...I've made a few flinters by hand and that is the toughest part for me to get right...To fix that gap, you'll have to remove wood from the butt area to move the plate forward, or file away on the butt plate so it moves forward...On a production gun, Id leave it alone or fill it in as mentioned...
Old 05-29-2012, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
The gap on mine was 1/8". I fixed it by selling the gun.
That's the same reason I got rid of the only Lyman I ever owned...it had a gap between the lock plate and barrel of about 1/16" and the priming powder would fall down into the lock. I think their fit and finish leaves a lot to be desired...

BPS
Old 05-29-2012, 01:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke
That's the same reason I got rid of the only Lyman I ever owned...it had a gap between the lock plate and barrel of about 1/16" and the priming powder would fall down into the lock. I think their fit and finish leaves a lot to be desired...

BPS
Mine was pretty good everywhere except that one spot. Not an easy fix, and it was annoying to look at. Not the reason I sold the gun, but it was nice to get rid of the problem.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Mine fit fine also. When it comes to InvestArms, they put some good stuff and some sloppy stuff. If you can do a good inspection, it is worth it on these guns.

Last edited by rafsob; 05-29-2012 at 03:38 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.