Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

new gun

Old 09-01-2003, 11:34 AM

Default new gun

Hey folks, I' ve got a Traditions lighting ligthweight .50 w/ scope trying to get it sighted in. I use to use ff and round ball in another gun but, want to switch to sabotted bullets should I use ff or triple seven what amount of powder ? or what combo seems to work for you folks? I know if I had time and money to figure these things out (which I' d love to do)but time and money seems to be a factor.
Thanks for your time. Mike[&:]
Old 09-01-2003, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: new gun

Start with buying some FF 777 loose & begin with around 75 grains. You may have to increase it slowly to around 90-95, depending on your rifle. Then buy some sabot/bullets in 240-300 grain range. Less expensive ones that perform well can be found in big hunting stores. Try the T/C Shockwaves in 250 or 300 grains -- Hornady .452 XTP Mag in 300 grains & Powerbelt 295s or 348s in hollow points are around $12 for 20.

When using your scope, pay close attention to the bottom of your scope after firing your first round. Many Tradition models experience significant blowback from the powder charge. Also, if you haven' t bought your 209 primers yet, buy the CCI 209s -- not the CCI 209M. They shoot cooler than Remington, Winchester & Federal. It will help save your scope from possibe scortch.