Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Shooting Knight's step child caliber... >

Shooting Knight's step child caliber...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shooting Knight's step child caliber...

Old 03-18-2012, 05:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Shooting Knight's step child caliber...

Well I had a bit of time today and I really wanted to get some shooting in. The farm is to muddy so I headed to the Leittle Boulder Rock Pit.

I did debate about which rifle to shoot but it was an easy decision when I got to thinking about the Extreme 52. I know a lot of people consider this gun a wasted caliber, but for myself it is one of my more favorite guns to shoot. The rifle shoots lights out and is very reliable, but my biggest reason for getting one was the 1-26" twist that Knight uses in that caliber. The twist really makes it more valuable to me as it shoots longer heavier bullets that require a bit more stabilazation than a 1-28 might offer. Basically this rifle is my Elk rifle. I feel very confident shooting the long Bloodline/Lehigh offerings + the heavy long lead conicals that Bull Shop Dan offers.

Any grabbed the rifle and headed to the Rock Pit. Did not have a whole lot of time so when I got to the pit I just set up a bunch of clay birds. While I was setting up my new birds, I found a lot of broke birds that still had really good sized pieces left so I set them up also - to increase the challenge a bit.

I did up shooting the shorter .458-275 grain DOA as this bullet is my universal bullet from the 52. I can use it both for deer and elk and not feel under-gunned.

Other than that not much else I can add except a couple of pictures... but it was a fun short afternoon.

Old 03-18-2012, 05:54 PM
Dominant Buck

It looks like you had a good time. And that is all that is important. I was all set to shoot today, I mean I had blown the primers through the rifle and had the rests on the table when company showed up.. So I ended up spending the entire afternoon in the house, drinking coffee and talking smart. After they finally left it was too late in the day to shoot. But we are ready for tomorrow bright and early.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey Sabotloader, I can't figure out whether over the years you have expanded the size of that pit by blasting away the wall, or reduced it by filling it with with a couple of tons of clay birds. Either way, it looks like fun. How far do you trave to get there?
Old 03-19-2012, 07:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Semisane
Hey Sabotloader, I can't figure out whether over the years you have expanded the size of that pit by blasting away the wall, or reduced it by filling it with with a couple of tons of clay birds. Either way, it looks like fun. How far do you trave to get there?
You know if you look at the bottom of the wall there really is getting to be a good collection 2"- rock laying there.

It is about a 40 mile round trip, that is why I would rather go to the farm, much closer. But there are three times a year I can not use it well, mud season, just before and after harvest...
Old 03-19-2012, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Knight red headed step child