Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
mini bullet advise >

mini bullet advise

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

mini bullet advise

Old 03-18-2012, 01:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default mini bullet advise

I've never shot one of these until yesterday, I tried 90 grains goex 2f and the results were horrible. Only 2 of 3 shots even hit the target at 35yds, no idea where 3rd shot went. These are a 400 grain hollow based pointed .54 mini, I was shooting them out of a TC Black Mountain Mag with a 1-38 twist 26 inch barrel. before I waste any more of these bullets thought I'd get some advise. Do they normally like a lot of powder? fast or slow twist? these bullets practically fall down the barrel, this normal? loose enough I'd be a little worried about them sliding up off the charge if I was hunting. These are a good looking bullet and should really put the hurt on a deer, hopefully I can find a way to use them.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:04 PM
Dominant Buck

The minni ball was never made for accuracy. It was made for speed of fire. All it had to do was hit any part of the person being shot at, or the fellow next to them, and the weight of the bullet did the rest. They were shot out of slow twist rifles 1-60 or even slower or a smoothbore. The common powder charge was 60 grains of slow burning 2f black powder.

If you shoot them too fast, you blow the skirt and they spray all over the place. If its a conical you want to hunt out of that black mountain magnum.. try a maxi ball. I think you'd be much happier. Even a REAL conical might do better. I have molds for both a 50 and 54 (or did I sell them?) and never cast bullets because IMO it was a waste of lead.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have used minie's but I paper patched them. I had good luck with them that way. Using them bare, I have never had much luck. Ron
Old 03-19-2012, 05:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

My experience is that they do not like much powder. 60 grains of 2F black is what gave the best results for me in a zouave. If the skirt is not perfect it won't shoot strait if the skirt is expanded to much so it rubs the wall to hard it will not shoot strait and will lead the barrel.Do not expect the kind of accuracy that can be obtained with sabots by the best shooters. try 50,55 60 and 65 grains of Black or Pyrodex RS.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
The minni ball was never made for accuracy. It was made for speed of fire. All it had to do was hit any part of the person being shot at, or the fellow next to them, and the weight of the bullet did the rest. They were shot out of slow twist rifles 1-60 or even slower or a smoothbore. The common powder charge was 60 grains of slow burning 2f black powder.

If you shoot them too fast, you blow the skirt and they spray all over the place. If its a conical you want to hunt out of that black mountain magnum.. try a maxi ball. I think you'd be much happier. Even a REAL conical might do better. I have molds for both a 50 and 54 (or did I sell them?) and never cast bullets because IMO it was a waste of lead.
Dave, I'm sure there are some NSSA boys on other forums that would argue you into the ground on that, the minie WAS developed for accuracy and use in the newly developed rifled musket. It was designed so that the skirt expanded into the rifling when the charge detonated causing the bullet to spin making it much more accurate than anything previously used in large bore military firearms. The main problem was that it had to be used with a relatively low powder charge of 60gr or so to keep the skirt from fragmenting when they exited the barrel. There have also been several more modern designs that were developed for competition shooting with much thicker skirts that will withstand heavier charges. I'm with you though, for my money and in my guns, there are much better conicals available, but in the right rifled musket and in the right hands, the minie can be very accurate. Caplock, you might want to follow Cayugad's advice. And I personally don't think your 1:38 T/C is ever gonna shoot those minies worth a rat's rear quarters either.

BPS
Old 03-19-2012, 10:00 AM
Dominant Buck

I cast the 50 and 54 caliber minnie. I tried them in a LOT of rifles. I paper patched them and anything else I could think of doing. Granted a man size target I could have hit with them. But the kind of hunting accuracy I demand.. never got it. Now I have seen the minnie shot out of an Enfield that did a real good job of shooting them. This was at a re-enactment camp. And the person shooting did a lot of it. He was hitting cinder blocks easy.. at 50 and 75 yards. Impressive results I might add with only 60 grains of powder. But an Enfield I believe was a .577 diameter bore and so is a 58 minnie so in that case it would be almost like a slip fit conical.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, one thing I'm sure we will all agree on, the minie accounted for a HORRENDOUS casualty list during our American Civil War. I can't even imagine what it would have been like marching in formation into a hail of those big .58 slugs!

BPS
Old 03-19-2012, 11:44 AM
Dominant Buck

I could not agree more. They had a show on TV where they were shooting at man size cut outs, and the load was 60 grains and a Minnie. They targets were not all that far away either (of memory serves me it was like 50 yards), and the reenactors were told to fire as many rounds as possible in one minutes time. They averaged three rounds each. And while their accuracy could of been better, the Minnie was going through the plywood cut outs, and then breaking cinder blocks behind that. So being second in line was not all that great a deal either. Without any argument, the Minnie was responsible for countless deaths and wounds on the battle field.]

Of course they they fired grape shot out of a cannon at the group of cutouts and really messed things up.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is a group I shot with my 45 with the Lee Improved Minie. These were sized to .446 then wrapped with two wraps of onion skin and sized again to .446 and shot out of my 1-30 twist 45. I don't have a speed for this load. I thought I did at one time but I can't find it. I have two loads that the Hot Rod Hawken likes this one and the RCBS 11mm bullet. Ron