Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Northern Renegade Playtime Pt 2 >

Northern Renegade Playtime Pt 2

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Northern Renegade Playtime Pt 2

Old 03-19-2012, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Northern Renegade Playtime Pt 2

Gorgeous day today and I was booked off. So I grabbed the Renegade for another shoot.
Consistency seems to be avoiding me. I'm thinking two things are plaguing me. One is maintaining the same sight picture from shot to shot and two, I think my bull is too big for 50 yd work.

So here is my first target. Same load as last time except I've added a Traditions Wonder Wad between the powder and patch. The T7 was shredding my patches without them.

After my first 3 shots I adjusted my sight picture not my sights. Then I fired 5 shots. Don't know what happened to #6 but overall not too bad.

So thinking about the bull being too large I flipped a target over and marked in a 2 inch box but only half coloured it. Results were less than stellar.

1 was just on top of the black, 2&3 were the bottom shots, 4 to the right and 5 bottom of the black. Just over a 3" group.

I'm a work in progress it seems.

Oh there was none to very light wind today and the smoke just hung there. Beautiful!!!

HA
Old 03-19-2012, 11:47 AM
Dominant Buck

just getting a chance to shoot is worth it. That one group there is excellent. I personally like a large bull, because I can at least see it. And with my six o'clock hold I use, it works good. I am the first to admit through, that my Renegade has a fat front sight. A thinner blade sight I think would be better. But I make due with what I have.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks cayugad! I should close my eye's more often.

I have a bead front sight on mine? Still working on it. If nothing else I'm out there making smoke~

HA
Old 03-19-2012, 02:57 PM
Typical Buck

I'm not sure those groups are bad for open sights at 50 yards and a PRB.

I know some people will post better results but in a 1 / 48 twist, that's pretty good.

I know I don't put up better groups with either the Rene or the TC Hawken. It's well within the " minute of deer " most look for.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Josmund
I'm not sure those groups are bad for open sights at 50 yards and a PRB.

I know some people will post better results but in a 1 / 48 twist, that's pretty good.

I know I don't put up better groups with either the Rene or the TC Hawken. It's well within the " minute of deer " most look for.
MOD for sure.

It's a vanity thing ya know.

HA
Old 03-19-2012, 04:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Looks pretty darn good to me HuntAway. I kinda` like a 3" bull for 50 yard work. Like Cayugad, I use a 6 o`clock hold. I don't care much for the TC bead sight either. But not because it's broad. I seem to shoot better with broad sights. But I want a flat topped square sight. I find it easier to center the bull on top of the flat, and find it works great as a hunting sight too with a dab of WiteOut on it.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:21 PM
Banned

that tc bead sight sucks! Have that style on my tc now and they are coming off ASAP. Its impossible to get them consistently on target.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
that tc bead sight sucks! Have that style on my tc now and they are coming off ASAP. Its impossible to get them consistently on target.

If you like a narrow sight you can file the sides of the bead and make a flat blade.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Here you go guys. I stole this from another forum.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:24 AM
Typical Buck

i like the tc partridge sights there flat with the blade sight....the bead ones not as good...thats good shooting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.