Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
average age of muzzleloder shooter >

average age of muzzleloder shooter

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.
View Poll Results: Average age of muzzleloader shooter
Under 20
0%
20 to 34
13.79%
35 to 49
28.74%
50 to 64
43.68%
65 and older
13.79%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

average age of muzzleloder shooter

Old 02-22-2012, 01:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by pluckit
I would rather not divulge personal information such as my age on the internet, but, I ordered my first muzzle loader about 26 years ago. It was a cannon. For some reason shooting that thing was such a thrill I told my wife I wanted to try shooting a muzzle loader rifle. That Christmas there was a .50 caliber Thompson Center Hawkins kit and a .32 caliber CVA Pioneer pistol kit under the tree. I'm afraid there has been no turning back from there. Damn that canon! I should take it out and shoot it some time. I did vote my age group on the poll though.
Nobody asked anybodies age if you look at the question. We're suppose to guess the average age of a muzzleloader.

Beats me?
Old 02-22-2012, 02:10 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by cayugad
I hear you recover from knee replacement real quick. I hope so I just ordered ten logger cord of maple wood for my wood stoves.
I had a total knee replacement 8/5/11, got a common infection and was cut open again to clean on 9/16/11. Got out of hospital 9/21/11 and on 10/10/11 I was climbing a tower and sitting for 2 hrs. I was on a self administered IV for the infection and I hung the bottle off the crank(for roof vent) of my travel trailer. On 11/12/11 I was using a climber up 28 ft. I am 62 yrs old and other knee has been scoped once and due for another. DON'T GIVE UP HOPE!

Have been using ML for something over 30 yrs. I use them in Deleware in ML and shotgun seasons(no rifles allowed).
Old 02-22-2012, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm 47 and bought my first ML when I was 18. It was a TC Hawkens and I still have it. I haven't shot or hunted with it for several years because my eyes have a hard time seeing the iron sights. I own 5 ML's with another one on its way. Hopefully it will be here tomorrow.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:20 PM
Fork Horn

I'll be 50 in about a month. Hunted with a muzzleloader for the first time in 1998 with a hawken. Fell in love with muzzleloaders and now the centerfire rifles never see the light of day during hunting season. I now own 3 and thats plenty for me. I have been thinking about getting a .45 cal barrel for the prohunter though.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:24 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by gregrn43
I'm 47 and bought my first ML when I was 18. It was a TC Hawkens and I still have it. I haven't shot or hunted with it for several years because my eyes have a hard time seeing the iron sights. I own 5 ML's with another one on its way. Hopefully it will be here tomorrow.
I had the same problem seeing the iron sights on my Pedersoli. After trying all kinds of ideas from a couple different forums, I finally bit the bullet and put fiber optic sights on it. It just about killed me to do that to a beautiful traditional rifle, but in the end it was necessary if I wanted to continue to shoot it.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:40 PM
Fork Horn

Be 71 come April. My first ML was a Knight Disc when they first came out. My center fire rifles have not been out of the gun safe except for an occasional cleaning for at least the last seven years.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wrong side of 50 for me.

Got my first ML'er, a TC Renegade .50 caplock back in 86'. One if not the only lefthand guns at the time. Mainly used it for plinking. Got a lot of razzing in the hunt camp over it so I really never hunted with it much. The Army was taking up a lot of prime hunting time back then so when I did hunt it was usually with the Win 94. Now I have the time and resources but as a dogger most the time (still), I still carry the 94. When I do get to sit I'm carrying the GPR now.

I got myself a 50 and a 54 GPR flintlocks. A 50 TC Renegade. A pair of Lyman Deer Stalkers flintlocks LH and RH for my boy's. An Omega rounds them out. Just sold a Traditions Lightening Bolt to my neighbour to get him started.

Got my first ML'er deer with the Omega.....Too much like a center fire for me so it hasn't seen much shooting time since.

HA
Old 02-22-2012, 04:55 PM
Fork Horn

Im a youngin! Just 25 here... I hunt with a friend and his kids and they all Muzzleload, and they got me into it and now Im hooked, so the reason I got into it was so Id have a few more weeks of gun season for deer.

My friends son that I hunt with, (he actually takes me out most of the time), is only 14 and is hardcore! He shoots Coyotes at 200 yards all day long with his CVA.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Let's just say I'm older than MD54, but younger than a lot of the other guys out there. I own only 3 muzzleloaders, looking to expand my collection in the years to come.

As for the average age of the muzzy shooter, most of the people I know just use a muzzy once or twice a year to extend their hunting season. Ages are all over the place - from my cousin's kid who took his first deer with a muzzy when he was 8 years old, to some guys I know in their 60's and early 70's.

However, the average age of the muzzleloader fanatic (as opposed to the muzzleloader opportunistic hunting) tends to be, well, let's just say on the well-seasoned side.... I'm the only person I know even close to my age that has multiple rifles and spends time at the range shooting for fun and working up different loads for fun.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:34 PM
Spike

My wife gave me my 1st mz some 18-20 yrs ago for Christmas, an i've been hooked ever since.i'll be 45 this march an i'm hoping for a left hand renegade mz, but we'll see on that.i've traded/sold many mz over the years, all but the 1st one my wife gave me that Christmas..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.