Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Built my shooting bench. >

Built my shooting bench.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Built my shooting bench.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:19 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks everyone. Both boys did start with the pellet guns. Play havoc with the sparrows when we visit my dad on his farm in Iowa. My stepson went out hunting a few times with me and his grandpa last fall but no luck. He and I put a good stalk on a 4x4 whitetail the last evening of season but finally got too dark before he felt he was close enough for a shot. Hopefully both he and my son can get a deer next year.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nice job HD.

A couple of thoughts.

Get yourself one or two small squares of carpet to take along with the bench, something like 10" x 10". They are nice for putting things like bullets and caps on without them rolling around. Also, they are mighty nice for resting your elbow on when shooting. That little bit of padding makes a big difference.

You might look into adding some sort of notch at the rear, or maybe a couple of pegs protruding out two inches or so to allow you to lean the gun against the rear of the bench. We added a board with half moon cutouts to the bench on our hunting club range.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:29 PM
Typical Buck

Great ideas Semisane. Couple of things I hadn't thought about. Thank You. It will make the bench more user friendly. Home Depot sells a small vinyl coated u-hook that could be threaded into the back of the bench that would work great for the gun rests.

Last edited by HDMontana; 02-09-2012 at 07:33 PM. Reason: added line
Old 02-09-2012, 07:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Home Depot sells a small vinyl coated u-hook that could be threaded into the back of the bench that would work great for the gun rests.
DANG! That's a good idea. I've seen those things and never even though of that use. I could use one or two on the deck outside my hunting club hooch.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

HD - looks good. Hope it works out well for you. But just one thought - You may want to consider putting braces from the front legs to the middle legs (maybe on a 45* angle) to keep them from moving back and forth. I think the recoil may work them loose in the not too distant future as it looks as though they are only held in place with wood screws on top.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by HDMontana
Great ideas Semisane. Couple of things I hadn't thought about. Thank You. It will make the bench more user friendly. Home Depot sells a small vinyl coated u-hook that could be threaded into the back of the bench that would work great for the gun rests.
I wish I could figure out something to fit on my truck's tailgate to hold my rifle up during loading. Anybody got any ideas?
Old 02-10-2012, 01:15 PM
JW
Super Moderator

How aobut one of these

and with the ribber feet should not mar the tailgate surface

or

this might be better

Or I use a shooters box but it holds the rifle horizontal.

Just some ideas

JW

Last edited by JW; 02-10-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:34 PM
Typical Buck

Bronko....I do have screws going in from the sides through the 1x2 frame work which is also screwed to the top. I will keep an eye on it but it seems really sturdy at the moment. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:21 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I wish I could figure out something to fit on my truck's tailgate to hold my rifle up during loading. Anybody got any ideas?
How about your wife?
Old 02-11-2012, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Seems like something is bound to get ruined if you use her.

What about those magnetic safe organizers for your truck. They have them that are smaller and only intended to hold 2 or 3 guns. Put some duct tape or something over the magnets so it doesn't scratch and you should be good to go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.