Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bore polishing

Old 01-17-2012, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by builder459
Breech ,most gunsmiths apply JB or something like it to clean new or badly fouled bores. it really is a common thing to do and doesn't hurt the rifle in any way, if not over used.
Sure I can see some Barrel's needing it, but mostly I was asking MD why he'd think that the Bergara Barrel with it's 5 step polishing process could possibly need the JB's. All the Bergara Barrels I have, have came from the factory super smooth and mirror bright with a bore so smooth I could'nt believe it, I just could'nt possibly see running some JB through that perfect of a barrel.
Now if the barrel was badly fouled, had rough spots or was'nt a quality barrel than yea do it. But in the original post he asked if he should do it right off the bat, why?? see how it shoots and loads first, then if you feel it's needed do it.
(BP)
Old 01-17-2012, 07:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Breechplug
If you have ever watched the processing you will notice the bore is polished before rifling. While this does help make a smooth bore the rifling process will leave minute burrs. Polishing does not remove a measurable amount of metal it only makes it smoother and removes the burrs, polishing is a normal part of accurizing.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Breechplug
JB's to remove packing grease, seems a little harsh to me, a good cleaning would do the same. I also cant believe that you'd JB a Bergara Barrel, but if you prefer to do so than so be it.
(BP)
You do realize that JB's, either Bore Paste or Bore Bright, is non-embedding - do you not?

Might look at this video..

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/vid=5...ANING-COMPOUND

All barrels can benefit from the use of JB products.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:01 AM
Fork Horn

All the muzzle loaders Ive owned received the JB treatment it definetely made loading easier in all of them and I think helped also in the accuracy department.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
You do realize that JB's, either Bore Paste or Bore Bright, is non-embedding - do you not?

Might look at this video..

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/vid=5...ANING-COMPOUND

All barrels can benefit from the use of JB products.
Thank's for posting the link Mike, Im sure it will help other's but with dial-up internet it'd take me a year to download and watch the vid, the joy's of country living.
Guess Im just going to have to get me some JB's and give her a try.
(BP)
Old 01-18-2012, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Breechplug
Thank's for posting the link Mike, Im sure it will help other's but with dial-up internet it'd take me a year to download and watch the vid, the joy's of country living.
Guess Im just going to have to get me some JB's and give her a try.
(BP)
Breech, best thing i ever did was to get rid of dial up and the land line. when your out looking for JB stop by and see about a air card. plug it in your computer and your good to go.$50.00 a month .
Old 01-18-2012, 09:23 AM
Typical Buck

Once again everyone has been great with their responses. I appreciate and value your feedback. Thank you.