Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Jug at 322 yard

Old 12-15-2011, 02:40 PM
Spike

Be very interesting to see how the bullet expanded at that distance from the exit it looks like it did but how much is the ?
Old 12-15-2011, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love the video. You can see the little smoke puff before the impact.
Awesome shooting...
Old 12-15-2011, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

A 496 grain conical launched at 1200 fps would take about .3 seconds longer to get there but would have about 900 fpe remaining. Holdover would be torturous.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Energy is weak at that distance. Hopefully you're just hunting deer?

50" of drop. How much wind drift?
Old 12-15-2011, 04:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

That was a really good shot. A lot of guys couldn't do that with a scoped CF rifle. Of course I am not speaking about anyone in here. I know we could all do it. But personally, as much as I admire your abilities, I prefer to get close enough to see their whiskers before I shoot. I think that is why I like the sidelocks. I limit my shots to 100 yds but try to get as close as possilbe.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Energy is weak at that distance. Hopefully you're just hunting deer?

50" of drop. How much wind drift?
The state of South Dakota requires hand guns to have a muzzle energy of 500 ftlbs to be legal. Myself, i have killed several deer years ago with a .44, and cannot recall ever having one run off. However, once i made a bad shot, but didn't know it, and approached the deer without the gun. It did run off, and i had to bull dog it, straddle it, and cut it's throat. Good thing that happened years ago, i cannot run now.

No, i am not just hunting deer; coyote, wolf, lion, and grizzly bear.

Fifty inches of drop sure was handled nicely by the cds dial, and as you can see, there was no wind drift.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:11 PM
Fork Horn

Great Shot Ron, I also like the fact that you can hear the projectile hitting the jug making the first crack sound, as it does the jug in.

I to am with you Ron, at 320 yards that projectile when fired at your loading, still has the equivalent of energy at the muzzle of a 4" to 6" barreled 44 mag pistol shooting 300 grain bullets. Yes I know this is a .452 projectile not a .430. The buffalo were brought to the edge of extinction at this range and beyond with lesser loads than you are shooting.

Ken

Central NY
Old 12-16-2011, 03:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Screwbolts
Great Shot Ron, I also like the fact that you can hear the projectile hitting the jug making the first crack sound, as it does the jug in.

I to am with you Ron, at 320 yards that projectile when fired at your loading, still has the equivalent of energy at the muzzle of a 4" to 6" barreled 44 mag pistol shooting 300 grain bullets. Yes I know this is a .452 projectile not a .430. The buffalo were brought to the edge of extinction at this range and beyond with lesser loads than you are shooting.

Ken

Central NY
Some of the buffalo died a slow death. If at all. Humane shots were unheard of in those days.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ken,

It was never mentioned before in this thread, but your link to Holo-Krome screws was used as a start to make vent liner for this rifle. The plug now in this rifle had a vent liner, but it was brazed in; when the flash hole reached 0.035" it was removed. It was tough going, but now the vent liner can readily be removed and replaced as it erodes. Our local machine shop orders them Holo-Krome for me. Holo-Krome screws made in the USA, sold by a local retailer, and drilled by an old carpenter from South Dakota are the vent liner in all my rifle.

Thank you for your help, and encouragement!!
Old 12-16-2011, 04:49 PM
Fork Horn

How did your scope cap have all the info on it? Great shooting,that was impressive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.