Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Do you use a rangefinder? >

Do you use a rangefinder?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Do you use a rangefinder?

Old 12-12-2011, 09:57 AM
Typical Buck

Don't have one yet. Would like to have one for bow hunting though. Furthest shot I ever took a deer with smokepole is 45 yards. Just really thick where I hunt. Maybe if I had a rangefinder I might try further shot if it presented itself to me.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:06 AM
NEK
Fork Horn

I use a Bushnell yardage pro, just an inexpensive model - but all I need. I also enjoy playing that self game - how far is that object? Plus - I do a lot of shooting with my pellet rifle out my back window and I have ranged all the trees bushes and fence posts where the crows might land. Even if you don't really need one - they are fun to mess around with and see how close you can guess the range to something.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:18 AM
Spike

bushnell scout arc 1000 -- It actually ranges deer out to 380 yards or so. I use mine to mark bowhunting distances when setting up.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is the one I have.
http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/....aspx?a=594540
The only thing I dislike about it is the buttons make a "click" sound when you push them. It is nice to have though. I bought mine a couple of years ago for $99 though.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've never found a need for one.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:35 PM
Fork Horn

Antelope hunting in Wy. (wide open country) I suck at judging distance. Would use one there or in open farm country. In the woods would still come in handy, but like others my shots are much closer.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:55 PM
Fork Horn

Most of my shots are under 50 with the farthest being about 75. I have some areas I walk through that have sights up to 250 yards but just don't feel comfortable shooting that distance. If I had a range finder maybe I would. I think I may get one especially for turkey hunting though.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Washatonian
So I am thinking about getting a rangefinder and after doing some research I have decided on a Leica. I am still not convinced that this is a necesary tool as I can judge out to 200 yards pretty good. The newer ones calculate angles but are spendy. I am thinking of getting an older one from ebay that just ranges distance. What do you think? I hunt open country where you can see up to a mile away.
I have one, a Leupold RX-600, and I use it for target shooting - i think you already know that... but most of the country I hunt in - I just never carry it... it is in the pack in the truck.

The area you and Andre were in is pretty typical of the areas that i hunt and you might agree that it probably is not necessary in that country.

Now in the middle of Washington in flatter country - it really could be an asset.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is impossible for me to write how long i have had a range finder. Our son and daughter gave it as a Christmas present. For years i have used it to range targets, antelope, and coyotes. This year was the first time i ever used it deer hunting. I think i ranged one deer at 123 yard, and the other at 171 yard. Having a scope with a cds dial is what effected the range finder being in my pocket. Both times i set the cds dial on the scope at the lasered range, and them deer followed me home. Packing a range finder is not a habit, and most times i don't have one with, but they surely do help. Now our muzzle loader season is upon us, and we cannot use scopes; only iron sights. I may not pack the range finder until our late rifle season doe hunt.

A range finder is a super help when one is packing a muzzle loading rifle that has a scope with some kind of ballistic compensation. Excessive doe kill by lion and hunters in the hills, has forced me to hunt out on the prairie more and more. One day i will kill a deer at 300 yard, and a range finder will make it possible.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use one for bow hunting to range things around my stands, I do not feel any need for one in this area with a gun, but in some places like the corn field I would use one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.