Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Do you use a rangefinder? >

Do you use a rangefinder?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Do you use a rangefinder?

Old 12-12-2011, 07:46 AM
Spike

Default Do you use a rangefinder?

So I am thinking about getting a rangefinder and after doing some research I have decided on a Leica. I am still not convinced that this is a necesary tool as I can judge out to 200 yards pretty good. The newer ones calculate angles but are spendy. I am thinking of getting an older one from ebay that just ranges distance. What do you think? I hunt open country where you can see up to a mile away.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't have one. But I either hunt woods where ranges are short or on foodplots where I know the distances to various points. If I hunted open country I would have one for sure.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Washatonian
So I am thinking about getting a rangefinder and after doing some research I have decided on a Leica. I am still not convinced that this is a necesary tool as I can judge out to 200 yards pretty good. The newer ones calculate angles but are spendy. I am thinking of getting an older one from ebay that just ranges distance. What do you think? I hunt open country where you can see up to a mile away.
Got to have a rangefinder in the open country i hunt here in the west.take a look at the simmons LRF 600.you can get them for $130.00 and great reviews,they also run one 9 volt battery.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:16 AM
mountaineer magic

deleted : no longer want to be on the forum

Last edited by mountaineer magic; 01-26-2012 at 02:14 PM.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
I don't have one. But I either hunt woods where ranges are short or on foodplots where I know the distances to various points. If I hunted open country I would have one for sure.
Ditto. The farthest I typically shoot is 125yds, so I don't have a need for one at this time.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:02 AM
Dominant Buck

I use one more so when bow hunting. As I like to know exactly what pin to use. But where I hunt with muzzleloaders, my longest shot is 50 yards. So it really makes little difference if the deer is 30 or 13 yards. I will kill it.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:38 AM
Spike

This ^^^^^^
Old 12-12-2011, 09:39 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I use one morre so for Turkey Hunting and then I also use to measure a dog event I judge.

I bought the Leopold RXII as it can be used for shotgun, rifle or bow and has TBR as well as angle.

While most of my rifle shots are less than 75 yds. I like ithe range finder as I mark points from my stand as I play a self game called judge that distance. D o the same with time - The time is?

JW
Old 12-12-2011, 09:48 AM
Fork Horn

I bought one just this year. I like to range land marks (trees, rocks), when setting a new stand. Don't usually carrie while hunting. My daughter liked it, because she had a "comfort zone" of the distance she would shoot. BEyond that she wasn't pulling the trigger!

Do you need one?
Old 12-12-2011, 09:54 AM
Fork Horn

I have mine on me every time I go in the woods and to the range.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.