Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
I need a doe but all I see are bucks >

I need a doe but all I see are bucks

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I need a doe but all I see are bucks

Old 12-12-2011, 05:37 AM
Typical Buck

Default I need a doe but all I see are bucks

I live in a county where you have to shoot a doe before you can shoot a second buck. So what do I do but go out and shoot a buck first thing. I have since had to pass on 3 bucks including what would be the biggest one of my life. I know, this would normally be a good problem to have.

But I am not to upset about it, I am enjoying my time in the field and I do have one in the freezer. My main goal is to get my wife another shot. She missed a decent buck on the first day of black powder and is getting discouraged because she isn't seeing deer now. She just started hunting last year and has two misses and no scores yet. But I missed a coyote the other day so that should encourage her to see that everyone misses sometimes, not just new hunters.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Funny how that works...I prefer to put does in the freezer and the first two I killed this year were bucks so I'm holding out for does...I'm seeing small bucks as well...
Old 12-12-2011, 06:57 AM
Fork Horn

I wish I had that problem!
Old 12-12-2011, 07:13 AM
Typical Buck

Wanna trade?
Old 12-12-2011, 07:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Oh the heartache! Don't be discouraged Wannabee. There's a gal there somewhere just for you.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:16 AM
Dominant Buck

I had that happen one year. We had a "Earn a Buck" program, where you had to shoot a doe first. And that first night out, sitting in a blind at under 50 yards, in walks a monster buck. I sat there with my scoped Black Diamond XR looking and drooling and could not pull the trigger.

I did later shoot two does, but never saw that buck again.