Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Fired My New Black Diamond >

Fired My New Black Diamond

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Fired My New Black Diamond

Old 12-10-2011, 03:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Fired My New Black Diamond

On Thursday i went to Garvin county to stock our pond. Decided to sight in my Black Diamond: It had been laser bore sighted. First shot at 50 yards was 6" to the left of the 1.5" bull. Made some bold adjustments and fired another shot, This time the it was about 5" left of the bull. Made another adjustment and the shot landed 5" to the right of the bull.

Made some corrections, and hit the scope lightly a few times with my short starter. This round landed in the bull. Next shot was back 5" to the right of the bull. Repeated the scope adjustments: Each time the end result was the same. After a new scope adjustment the first bullet would be in a new location and the second back in the group 5" to the right of the bull. Ended up with a six shot group that measured about .5" that was centered 5" to the right of the bull.

Two of my centerfire guns wear this same Leupold FXII 4X32 scope. Never had any problems with those scopes. For sure something is wrong with this one. Will center the scope reticle, laser boresight the gun and try again. If that don't work the scope is going back to Leupold.

Rifle: TC Black Diamond
Powder: 100 grains of 3F Goex Pinnacle
Bullet: 240 grain .452 XTP magnum in long black sabot
Primer: Winchester shotgun
Old 12-10-2011, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

From what I'm reading you're taking one shot then adjusting the scope.
Try a 5 shot group without scope adjustments.
You may find it's not the scope.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

falcon
When it is cold scopes even very good scopes do not settle down to their ending position right away. I try not to have to sight any thing in the cold but if I have to I shoot until I get a group of 3 shots in the same place before moving it again. All scopes have lubrication and springs actuating them and cold stiffens the lubrication so it might not move all the way to where you stopped it right away.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks, Lee.

Never had a problem like this before. i'd make a scope adjustment and the next shot would go to a new point of aim. The second shot after the scope adjustment would be right back in the group 5" to the right of the bull.

Just centered the scope reticle and laser boresighted the gun. Will try again some nice warm day.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:39 AM
Dominant Buck

I know very little about scope sighting in. If they don't work, I just keep shooting until something happens. Hard to believe a good Leupold scope would fail. That would sure upset the devil out of me. Its a shame the scope was not true. It would have been interesting to see what kind of group that BD shoots.

I am guessing this is the 22 inch barrel since you did not mention XR. I have always thought a 22 inch BD would be a perfect brush rifle. Easy to get around and deadly accurate.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

It would have been interesting to see what kind of group that BD shoots.

That's another weird thing. After firing 14 rounds there was a beautiful six shot group 5" to the right of the bull. The gun is the short barrel model and it handles like a dream.

It may not be the scope. Never ever had a problem with a Leupold scope. This morning i switched the mounts and centered the reticle.

i may have had a bad day.

Last edited by falcon; 12-10-2011 at 07:38 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I had a luppy scope that I sent back that did about the same thing.
Are you swabing between shots?

Al
Old 12-11-2011, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just aim a little to the left...