Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Running Brush Through Bore? >

Running Brush Through Bore?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Running Brush Through Bore?

Old 12-09-2011, 04:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default Running Brush Through Bore?

After I made 100 strokes with JB paste and cleaned out the bore it looked good. Like a mirror. But my muzzy always looks very shiney inside.

I then ran a sabot down and it did move more smoothly but seemed to require same pressure.

I then noticed a slight grab at the first 4 inches. So for what ever reason I took I brass brush and covered it with a swab and hopps 9.

To my sickness, the crud I got out of the riffling was amazing. I scrubbed the whole barrel using the brush and the stuff kept coming out of the riffling.

After another half hour I was satisfied it was clean.

Do you guys use a brush for cleaning?

I always thought I cleaned my gun well. But I thought brushing was bad?

D
Old 12-09-2011, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like to use a brush with a patch around it to clean the bore with.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I always use a synthetic brush to loosen the crud,followed by patches.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Doug100g
To my sickness, the crud I got out of the riffling was amazing. I scrubbed the whole barrel using the brush and the stuff kept coming out of the riffling.

After another half hour I was satisfied it was clean.

Do you guys use a brush for cleaning?

I always thought I cleaned my gun well. But I thought brushing was bad?

D
That's surprising. What powder do you shoot with?
Old 12-09-2011, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bronze brushes can have chemical reactions with various cleaners and give the impression the bore is still dirty, even after much time spent cleaning the rifle. this is why i use synthetic brushes
Old 12-09-2011, 08:24 AM
Fork Horn

I always use greased lightning (cleaner) mixed with hot water and a bronze/brass brush followed by patches. I only use a brush when I am cleaning a gun for long storage. Also that mixture works as a good patch lube while shooting at the range. Cleans your barrel as you shoot. I don't know but I don't see how a brass/bronze brush could damage your barrel unless your using a solvent that is going to react the brass or bronze. The brush alone will not damage your barrel.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:07 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by hubby11
That's surprising. What powder do you shoot with?
BH 209 for the last 1 1/2 years
Old 12-09-2011, 06:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

builder is correct. a bronze brush will leave a grayish residue in the bore making it appear dirty. if you're concerned about not cleaning your bore sufficeintly try a foaming cleaner or a thick gel type cleaner and let it soak.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a Nylon Brush, if I use a Brass Brush it's just one time down the Barrel and out. I dont use BH but I thought that stuff was suppos-to be pretty darn, your Barrel has been this Dirty for 1 1/2 Years? or getting this Bad for this long and Your Accuracy has'nt Suffered? Good thing BH 209 is Non Corrosive and the Least Fouling of any of the other Powders out there and requires No Swabbing between shots.
Now I dont know what your suppos-to use to Clean BH209 so I wont comment on what to use. One thing I will recommend is getting some Montana Extreme Bore Conditioner and treak your Barrel with it. After each cleaning session run a wet patch of MX BC down your Barrel and leave it set for awhile, then 2 dry patches and load. This stuff works great to help Protect Your Bore and makes Clean up Fast and Easy.
What kind of a Barrel do you have on Your TC Omega, Blued or SS. Regular Blued Barrels react different to Chemicals and such than a SS Barrel does, what has your Patches been looking like after you usually clean and whats's your Cleaning Method now.
I hope everything works out for you and you get this figured out.
(BP)
Old 12-10-2011, 01:30 PM
Fork Horn

Hey Bronko,

It was a dark gray look. Maybe that was the brush and Hopps 9 in my blue barrel? Looks like you and Breech got me thinking. It may not be fouled. I just thought it was because after using the brush I could not seem to get a clean swab.

I clean my gun very well, so this did bother me. I was almost thinking of going back to 777 because it seems BH 209 takes me just as long to clean. Two swabs of H9 and a few clean swabs have never cleaned my barrel.

It always takes me as long as it did with 777. The only reasons I use BH 209 is because I do not have to swab and the plug comes out so easy...

D

Last edited by Doug100g; 12-10-2011 at 01:33 PM.