Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
4th Warmest November on Record >

4th Warmest November on Record

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

4th Warmest November on Record

Old 11-28-2011, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
I can remember deer hunting on snowshoes, as it was the only way to get back in the woods because the snow was so deep.

There is a past deer season with me on some tracks...

Bronko ... some of us need more muzzleloading things like a hole in the head. But it is nice to only burn junk wood to heat the house. I've been burning up all my spring and fall wood and saving my hard maple for what ever winter wants to throw at us.
That's what Im used to Hunting in at the end of November. Ya I also Burn up My Soft Wood First like the Soft Maple and Ash. I save the Red Oak, Hickory. Locost and Butter Nut for when it really gets Cold out.
Usually by now I've went through mabey 4 Cord of wood, so far I've Burned about half a cord.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I don't understand. Here, the deer will stay at timberline if it stays warm in the fall. They don't disappear, but they are harder to hunt.

You guys don't have any mountains. Where do they have to go too? Why is your hunting harder in warm weather?

If you're talking about the rut? We don't even get to hunt the rut. Our deer seasons are over by the time the rut starts. We still kill plenty of deer.
The deer are still around, but it becomes harder to hunt them. When it's that warm they tend to hunker down during the day and mostly are active at night. And if you drive them, they run a short distance and then bed down again. So basically you see less deer because they aren't moving much during the day. Yes, I still kill deer when it's warm, but in general have been much less successful.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

We had a very windy (30-40 mph) and warm opening day for firearms season here in Missouri but my grandson and I sat in the blind and saw 15 deer that day. I would have bet we would see nothing so was very surprised... you just never know.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

I see. That's all I ever see. I hunt the timber-meadow edges at sunset and sunrise, and hunt the timber during the day. Still hunting the timber is really effective during the day. I find where they bed down.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

I hunted Friday, Saturday and Sunday morning and didn't see a deer. This warm November has been the worst for deer I've ever seen. I sat in a box stand Friday evening in shorts and a T-shirt. I passed on a smallish doe earlier in the season and am beginning to regret it.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't understand. Here, the deer will stay at timberline if it stays warm in the fall. They don't disappear, but they are harder to hunt.

You guys don't have any mountains. Where do they have to go too? Why is your hunting harder in warm weather?

If you're talking about the rut? We don't even get to hunt the rut. Our deer seasons are over by the time the rut starts. We still kill plenty of deer.
Well No Mountians but the place Im Hunting now has the Chautauqua Gorge running through the Property. This Gorge has Creeks that run through the Bottom, the sides have Hills (Ravines) that go from 300-500 yds down and up to 600 yds to the top of the next Ravine. Some are so steep that there almost straight down. The Creek Bottoms are Thick with Blow Downs, Creep Vine and Briars. You can go down one Ravine and up another, then down and up again, if you can make it. Plus the Creeks have Hard Woods that go for 1000's of Acres surrounding the Gorges. So Ya, No Snow to Track the Deer and they can be hiding anywhere. Plus we has Acres of (Red Brush) this stuff can get as high as 8-9 feet and is so thick you have to Crawl through it, and ya better leave your Gun behind if your on a Drive and take your Pruning Shears so you can get out and a Phone so when you get lost we can yell to you so you know where we are. If you ever Died in this stuff and you were'nt Crawling they'd find you Standing Up. Some of the Red Brush go's for Acres too and is full of Wild Rose, Fallen Down Trees, Creeks and Swamps. I can go on and on but I think you get the point Some of the places I Hunt we Refuse to shoot a Deer near Dusk as you'd never find it if it went over the Ravine, and if you did you would'nt make it out untill late at night.
The next time Im Hunting this Property I'll take a few Pics, I may go back there in a little while (Tonight) Im undecided......
So Ya Snow Helps A-Lot when the Deer have 1000's of Acres of Thick Stuff to hide in besides the Hardwoods.
(BP)
Old 11-28-2011, 11:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Is that the only place you can hunt?
Old 11-28-2011, 01:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

My friend just came back. Was out all day and didn't see anything. Only heard 2 shots all day. For the first day of PA buck season! that's unheard of. Temp this afternoon was 63*!
Old 11-28-2011, 01:18 PM
Typical Buck

Fall in Colorado has been unusual to say the least.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Is that the only place you can hunt?
No, I have a Good Selection of Places to Hunt. But Most assume that because Im from NY that Im from the CITY. Im FAR from NYC. Were Located about as far away from NYC in NY that you can be. Im close to the Pennsylvania Line close to Lake Erie in FARM Country, in the Lower Most Left Hand Corner of NY.
We have some of the Best Hunting in NY here and also some of the Hardest Country to Hunt. Were all Corn, Soybeans, Apples and Farms, with Hardwoods for as far as you can see, mixed in with the Thickest Stuff You have ever seen. I always Laugh at them Hunting Shows where them Guys are Hunting Open Lands with Spotting Scopes, or where there's just Hardwoods surrounded by Food Plots, That's some EASY Hunting, Try it here just one time and you'll see what I mean. Our Deer have more places to Hide and some of the Thickest Stuff to hide in that some have no clue.
Google Northern Chautauqua County NY and pull up some Maps and you'll see what Im talking about, were all Farmers here surrounded by All Farm Country, Not the NY you think we are, them Guys in that section of the State Dont even know We Exist.
(BP)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.