Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
tc encore accuracy >

tc encore accuracy

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

tc encore accuracy

Old 11-26-2011, 08:10 AM
Typical Buck

Default tc encore accuracy

I have owned my 50 cal.tc encore for several years and have loved it and harvested alot of deer with it. Over the last couple of years ive been having trouble getting it to shoot decent groups. When it was newer I was quite immpressed with the 1.5 inch 100 yrd groups I was getting. Now however the groups seem to be closer to 5 or 6 inces. At first I tried replaceing my powder and primers ( 777 pellets and winchester 209 ml primers) because i thought maybe they were getting old. That didnt seem to help so I was hoping for some ideas?
Im sure its not the barrel because when it is clean it is bright and shiny with no pits ( a little rough where the powder ignites). could it be the hindge pin? It has a little play when the barrel is open but next to nothing when it is shut. I am considering selling it and buying a omega instead.
Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!
Old 11-26-2011, 08:48 AM
Dominant Buck

Welcome to the forum. I have no experience with your rifle. So I would look at the fact that it was once an accurate rifle. With that same load, one would expect the same accuracy. So I would start looking at the parts of the rifle, the scope, the bases, the rings, and the condition of the barrel. When is the last time you removed the plastic build up in the barrel? It might look clean but there is a slight chance some fouling could be in there.

Also over the years, bullets chance, sabots change, and powders change. So sometimes you have to start over and just work up a new load.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you want to try a new load first try a Barnes 250gr TMZ in a yellow CR Harvester sabot on top of 110gr of Blackhorn 209. I would change the hinge pin to an over sized and check all scope connections. Has the crown eroded over time at all?
Old 11-26-2011, 09:11 AM
Typical Buck

Get a bellm 1x oversized hinge pin and it should help with that play with the barrel. Make sure you thimbles are tight too as I have heard they can loosen up and cause your groups to open up as well. I'm not an Encore expert but these are just a couple things that I know of that may be a problem. I have the 1x hinge pin and it tightened everything up for me.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by chaded
Get a bellm 1x oversized hinge pin and it should help with that play with the barrel. Make sure you thimbles are tight too as I have heard they can loosen up and cause your groups to open up as well. I'm not an Encore expert but these are just a couple things that I know of that may be a problem. I have the 1x hinge pin and it tightened everything up for me.
It is typical of the Encore to shoot better with a +1 when its broken in and from the sound of your description your may need a bit more.
You might even need to ream the hole and go to an oversize pin if it has worn out of round.
I recommend you go to http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/
And read up on it, if you are not mechanically inclined you might want to contact him for consultation.
I have a Encore Endeavor I put his trigger hammer and lock kit in it and after it was broken in for a while I put a +1 in it it shoot minute of angle with 4 load I could probably find more but don't feel the need.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by grinder67
I have owned my 50 cal.tc encore for several years and have loved it and harvested alot of deer with it. Over the last couple of years ive been having trouble getting it to shoot decent groups. When it was newer I was quite immpressed with the 1.5 inch 100 yrd groups I was getting. Now however the groups seem to be closer to 5 or 6 inces. At first I tried replaceing my powder and primers ( 777 pellets and winchester 209 ml primers) because i thought maybe they were getting old. That didnt seem to help so I was hoping for some ideas?
Im sure its not the barrel because when it is clean it is bright and shiny with no pits ( a little rough where the powder ignites). could it be the hindge pin? It has a little play when the barrel is open but next to nothing when it is shut. I am considering selling it and buying a omega instead.
Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!
i would like you to try some thing i just did ,use blackhorn 209 powder and TC shock wave in 250 gr BTW use a mag primer
Old 11-27-2011, 01:41 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks everyone for your input! My setup is a nikon omega bdc that did have aluminum rings but before season I took the rifle to my local gun shop and had replaced with steel and also told them to check the base while they had the scope off. I shoot a 250 gr. shockwave that when I purchased I bought a couple hundred at same time and have been shooting the same ones for several years. and 3 50gr. 777 pellets.
In chaded's post he mentioned making shure my thimbles are tight but im not sure what that is? As far as the hindge pin goes I have seen adjustable pins for sale would these work or should i go with over sized?
Old 11-27-2011, 02:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by grinder67
Thanks everyone for your input! My setup is a nikon omega bdc that did have aluminum rings but before season I took the rifle to my local gun shop and had replaced with steel and also told them to check the base while they had the scope off. I shoot a 250 gr. shockwave that when I purchased I bought a couple hundred at same time and have been shooting the same ones for several years. and 3 50gr. 777 pellets.
In chaded's post he mentioned making shure my thimbles are tight but im not sure what that is? As far as the hindge pin goes I have seen adjustable pins for sale would these work or should i go with over sized?
i consider 3 50gr. 777 pellets to hot
Old 11-27-2011, 03:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would try some loose 777 or the the BH209 powder.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:34 AM
Fork Horn

Thimbles are were the ram rod is held to the barrel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.