Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Wow!

Old 11-23-2011, 03:43 PM
Fork Horn

I have a tenpoint and excal both are great bows and each have their +'s.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

The farthest I've taken a deer with a crossbow was 27 yards. I've shot AT deer (and missed) out to 35 yards. I got a turkey at 37 yards with the xbow, but he was oblivious to what was going on around him. Like Lee said, they are frickin' loud, and I've had more than 1 deer jump the string. Even though a crossbow can shoot accurately at long range, the closer the better. I hunt out of tree stands or ground blinds and won't shoot past 25 yards anymore...

And yes you're right, they are frickin' expensive! I picked up a used Horton for $200 about 8 years ago. It's not state-of-the-art, but it still works...
Old 11-23-2011, 06:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have to think this out. I'm a still hunter. I'm not sure a crossbow will work for that kind of hunting.

I'm sure taking a stand will drive me nuts. Even on the ground.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think that's Great you can use a Crossbow because of your situation. Now I am Against the Use of Crossbows during Archery Season if you Dont have some kind of a Handicap, it's a Lazy Man's Bow and takes None of the Skill involved in learning to become an Accomplished Archer. But if it adds more Hunting time for You then Im all for it.
Were Lucky here, We can use Scopes on our MLers in Late ML Season, plus we Dont have to Wear any Blaze Orange, there No Mandatory use for Blaze Orange during our Gun Season either. The did a study and found that if a Hunter knows that the use of Blaze Orange is Not Mandatory then the Hunter will be Much More likely to be 1000% sure of His Target, there's been Great Success with that rule so far.
During our Late ML Season I'll dress totally in Snow Camo, if there's Snow of course, wich there usually is, but I will wear a Blaze Orange Cap or Hat on My way in and out of My Hunting Spot, or If Im Hunting some Land where other Hunters could possibly see Me from an adjoining Property. But I Hunt Big Tracks of Private Property and feel confident with dressing the way I do and with the People I Hunt with.
Enjoy Your Cross Bow and the extra time spent afield!