Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hunting snacks

Old 11-20-2011, 02:41 PM
Dominant Buck

When I was younger I was notorious for my food pack. I'd have a huge thermos of hot coffee, three or four salami sandwiches, a couple apples, candy bars, peanuts, I mean I used to go out and feast. Now with an ever growing waste line, and other health problems, its a thermos of coffee, canteen of cold water, an apple, and a pack of whole wheat crackers. Candy is a no no, but I still carry a few pieces of hard candy in my day pack. I avoid other foods as well. But I sure miss my food.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

My mother always makes us a couple of big batches of fresh pepperoni rolls. She is getting pretty old now, but she brought some pepperoni rolls up this afternoon. That and some homemade Pumpkin Rolls. Tom.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Some of you have misunderstood the question.

It wasn't.........What do you bring on a picnic?
Old 11-20-2011, 03:47 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Mr.Flintlock
I take a peanut butter n jelly sandwich and a thermos of coffee . I don't know how many times I have had to set my coffee down to shoot a deer.
I know a woman who had a fire built and was frying bacon when she shot her buck.

Charlie
Old 11-20-2011, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Chasam60
I know a woman who had a fire built and was frying bacon when she shot her buck.

Charlie

Did you marry her?? Tom.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I take Sandwiches, Coffee, Granola Bars and some time Jerky. Now SCENT does'nt bother Me as any Deer Up Wind of me Would'nt Smell Me if I was Cooking Venesion Chops on a Grill, and a Deer Down Wind of Me is going to Smell Me No matter how Scent Free I am. If you have to PEE, PEE......I've Pee'd in more Deer Scrapes than I could count and have had em Tear them up, our Pee wont spook a Deer. Do I worry about opening that Granola Bar from that Crunchy Packing, Nope, the Squirrels and other sounds in the Woods make as much Noise, but I do make sure I keep the sound of opening it to a minimum.
I often have a Smoke in the woods too, My Buddy always Razz Me and say the Deer are going to Smell it, I get More Deer than they do on any given year, people Use Woodstoves where We Hunt, , by the time a Down Wind Deer Smells the Smoke, it's usually too Late by then anyway for Him.
Now I was'nt gonna Mention this one as you did'nt Mention it but You could also Be Dressed in anything You want in your Treestand, Jeans, a Business Suit and still take a Deer, they dont see You Unless You MOVE. Also you could Bow Hunt in a Blaze Orange Suit and still take a Deer, Camo only makes Us Look Good, it's Over Priced and Way Over Rated. Do I wear it, Yep, but it has Never Helped Me tale a Deer that I had My sights on.
I've also had Thousands of Turkeys walk By Me while I was on the Ground Deer Hunting that Never saw Me while I was Dressed in Full Blaze Orange Mossy Oak Camo.
The Wind Saves Deers Lives and so does Your Movement, that's it......Period.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:09 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I take protein bars, trail mix, and lots of water. At the altitude I hunt it's easy to get dehydrated.

Taking a wizz is no problem. I don't sit in one spot.

Muley, can you exsplain the bolt print.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by sqezer
[/B]

Muley, can you exsplain the bolt print.
I read your post over and over trying to figure out what you mean. I failed. Please explain?
Old 11-20-2011, 07:22 PM
Fork Horn

Wink

I never had a problem taking a wizz, cover it up with dirt or snow and your good to go.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Oh, you meant to say bold print. I was thinking of the bolt of a gun, and it made no sense, or anything else to do with a bolt.

What I meant was someone in a stand wouldn't want to take a wizz near their stand. Someone mentioned not drinking so they wouldn't have to.

It's not a problem for me, because I keep moving.

btw You couldn't cover it up enough for a deer not to smell it. An elk would be even harder.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.