Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
I just passed on the best buck of my life >

I just passed on the best buck of my life

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I just passed on the best buck of my life

Old 11-15-2011, 03:04 PM
Typical Buck

Default I just passed on the best buck of my life

Ok, I posted my 4 ptr that I got Saturday evening. I was happy to get him. I am a meat hunter and I am happy to get any deer. I average about 1 per year but have done better and have gone dry.

Today was my first day back in the field since Saturday evening. I waited until almost too dark to see and I heard deer coming through the woods. I was hunting the blind in the field today, I got the buck on Saturday from my treestand in the woods.

Sure enough a couple young does pop out. Then I see him. A mature 8 ptr. He was coming almost straight at me at 40 yards. Then he turned to my left with his nose to ground trailing a doe that must be coming into heat. He passed to my left at 30 yards. He filled my scope and I could have pulled the trigger at any time. I wanted to pull the trigger too. So what was stopping me? EAB. That is, the Earn A Buck program. In my county you have to shoot a doe before you could shoot a second buck. I know the program is probably a good one, but why me???

For some reason I thought I might regret shooting that 4 ptr even though I didn't regret it at the time. If I am not mistaken, this is my 20th year deer hunting and this was only the 2nd large buck I have ever had in my scope. The first was last year and he was on the neighbors land so I couldn't take the shot. These kind of deer don't come by me often.

I told my wife that I was going to shoot the first little, tiny doe I see. She didn't think that was funny. Problem is, I just might.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:13 PM
Spike

kill the first baldy you see I have earn a buck in my state its very frustrating
Old 11-15-2011, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like your luck is about like mine lately. I must commend you for your restraint, its tough to pass on a buck like that.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:28 PM
mountaineer magic

shoot a doe first thing in the morning then start looking for him in the afternoon. Hope you get him.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

You might be a bit depressed that you didn't shoot. But ethically you did the right thing and obeyed the law. Regardless of how illogical it seems. I guess though it does keep hunters from shooting their 2 buck and hanging it up for the season with a full freezer as the doe numbers climb.
It its fate, then you will get another crack at him. God willing - good luck
Old 11-15-2011, 04:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Don't you just hate those smart azz ones ADV?

Old 11-15-2011, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ADVWannabee
Ok, I posted my 4 ptr that I got Saturday evening. I was happy to get him. I am a meat hunter and I am happy to get any deer. I average about 1 per year but have done better and have gone dry.

Today was my first day back in the field since Saturday evening. I waited until almost too dark to see and I heard deer coming through the woods. I was hunting the blind in the field today, I got the buck on Saturday from my treestand in the woods.

Sure enough a couple young does pop out. Then I see him. A mature 8 ptr. He was coming almost straight at me at 40 yards. Then he turned to my left with his nose to ground trailing a doe that must be coming into heat. He passed to my left at 30 yards. He filled my scope and I could have pulled the trigger at any time. I wanted to pull the trigger too. So what was stopping me? EAB. That is, the Earn A Buck program. In my county you have to shoot a doe before you could shoot a second buck. I know the program is probably a good one, but why me???

For some reason I thought I might regret shooting that 4 ptr even though I didn't regret it at the time. If I am not mistaken, this is my 20th year deer hunting and this was only the 2nd large buck I have ever had in my scope. The first was last year and he was on the neighbors land so I couldn't take the shot. These kind of deer don't come by me often.

I told my wife that I was going to shoot the first little, tiny doe I see. She didn't think that was funny. Problem is, I just might.

I feel your pain as I have been in a similar situation. Several years ago I was bowhunting during the Urban Archery "doe only" season. It was the evening before bow season opened up state wide and bucks would have been legal then. I had a very good 8 pointer come in and start feeding around my stand. I thought about putting an arrow through him and coming back the next morning and picking him up. However, my wife and I had just disciplined our son for lying about getting in trouble at school the day before. After thinking about this I had to let him walk...needless to say I never saw him again.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:22 PM
Dominant Buck

You did the right thing and you don't have to feel bad about it. Following the law is not anything to feel bad about. It just was not in the cards.

Many years back because of the doe population out of control we had to shoot does. And the first late afternoon while hunting from my blind, I had three nice bucks come through and stand there. I enjoyed seeing them. But always wished I could have shot the second one that came through. But I did get lots of does that year.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ADV - You showed major restraint there, and you'll get it back in dividends. You'll see. Good luck.

MMagic - You talk like you can just pop out in your PJs and kill a doe. I have never had the experience of being able to count on seeing does in any one place during a particular window of time. That must be nice...I'm jealous!
Old 11-15-2011, 05:30 PM
mountaineer magic

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
ADV - You showed major restraint there, and you'll get it back in dividends. You'll see. Good luck.

MMagic - You talk like you can just pop out in your PJs and kill a doe. I have never had the experience of being able to count on seeing does in any one place during a particular window of time. That must be nice...I'm jealous!
Around here you can go out and get a doe anytime and I don't have to go more than a mile or so to do it. Sometimes just in the pasture near the house

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.