HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I just passed on the best buck of my life
Old 11-15-2011, 05:22 PM
VAhuntr
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ADVWannabee
Ok, I posted my 4 ptr that I got Saturday evening. I was happy to get him. I am a meat hunter and I am happy to get any deer. I average about 1 per year but have done better and have gone dry.

Today was my first day back in the field since Saturday evening. I waited until almost too dark to see and I heard deer coming through the woods. I was hunting the blind in the field today, I got the buck on Saturday from my treestand in the woods.

Sure enough a couple young does pop out. Then I see him. A mature 8 ptr. He was coming almost straight at me at 40 yards. Then he turned to my left with his nose to ground trailing a doe that must be coming into heat. He passed to my left at 30 yards. He filled my scope and I could have pulled the trigger at any time. I wanted to pull the trigger too. So what was stopping me? EAB. That is, the Earn A Buck program. In my county you have to shoot a doe before you could shoot a second buck. I know the program is probably a good one, but why me???

For some reason I thought I might regret shooting that 4 ptr even though I didn't regret it at the time. If I am not mistaken, this is my 20th year deer hunting and this was only the 2nd large buck I have ever had in my scope. The first was last year and he was on the neighbors land so I couldn't take the shot. These kind of deer don't come by me often.

I told my wife that I was going to shoot the first little, tiny doe I see. She didn't think that was funny. Problem is, I just might.

I feel your pain as I have been in a similar situation. Several years ago I was bowhunting during the Urban Archery "doe only" season. It was the evening before bow season opened up state wide and bucks would have been legal then. I had a very good 8 pointer come in and start feeding around my stand. I thought about putting an arrow through him and coming back the next morning and picking him up. However, my wife and I had just disciplined our son for lying about getting in trouble at school the day before. After thinking about this I had to let him walk...needless to say I never saw him again.