Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Renegade Elk

Old 11-12-2011, 06:24 PM
Spike

Default Renegade Elk

Hey folks, I haven't posted on this forum for a while, but I thought I would share a photo with you all and a short story.

I got this three point single antler bull in a wilderness area near Packwood, Wa.. The area is a three point or better area and some real trophies come out of there. Anyways I had my sons with me and put them in on the same hill/mountainside that I went up on opening morning before sunup, told them I would see them up top later. Well I worked my way up the mountain in the dark until the sun came up. Bout then a bull started bugling below me, but I could tell he was moving to my left and coming up hill. I was working on an intercept path in the big timber, but never made it as this young bull came out of the woods 20 yards away following two cows and a spike. As soon as I counted 3 points, I put the front sight of my old reliable T/C Renegade on his front shoulder and fired away. I could tell I had a good hit on him right away as he started stumbling in about two steps. He made it about 75' before he piled up in a blow down divot. I reloaded and before I was done capping, my sons come running up hill screaming and hooting; they were about 75 yards away when I fired (didn't know that). All before 0720 hrs., opening day. WAHOO.

Well we got it dressed, quartered and packed back to camp before noon. I had the renegade loaded with a hand cast .527 RB with 110 grs. of real BP. I love that gun it shoots that load so well. I wasn't even planning on using it this year as I have a Austin and Halleck 420 that I shoot 460 No Excuses out of, but after I deep cleaned the weapon in June, the trigger gunney-sacked and wont work. (anybody have a spare Bold trigger for a 420?) I must have did something to it when I took it off and sprayed it with lubricant. Anyway it won't work; so I took the old side lock I bought in 78. One shot through the heart dead center, I didn't even find any blood on the ground other than one fleck.

I tried to upload a photo just now, but its too big of a file so I have to figure out how to resize it, which will be a trick for me.

Happy days to ya guys
Serious
Old 11-12-2011, 07:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

An elk with a Renegade is hard to beat. Especially with a PRB.

Cngrats.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:45 PM
Dominant Buck

Congratulations on the elk. Nice going.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations on your bull
Old 11-13-2011, 04:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congratulations. And that will be some fine eating too.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the elk. It's heard to beat elk meat.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the elk. It's heard to beat elk meat.