Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

sabot help?

Old 11-12-2011, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default sabot help?

those darn 50 cal./.45 Barnes 300gr. mz bullets just wont go down.what to use in a cva optima or T/C omega. a quick search shows me Harvester crush ribs but ive used them in my Omega before with Hornady XTPS and it didnt make a difference. the sabot makers dont give too descript purposes other than thickness. i see Harvester makes EZ load short sabots but dont know the purpose for short and longer sabots . then theres the MMP sabots in HPH 24 and the 3 PEDAL but doing searches makes me more confused. something about the plastics they use different than the Harvesters.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by liquidorange
those darn 50 cal./.45 Barnes 300gr. mz bullets just wont go down.what to use in a cva optima or T/C omega. a quick search shows me Harvester crush ribs but ive used them in my Omega before with Hornady XTPS and it didnt make a difference. the sabot makers dont give too descript purposes other than thickness. i see Harvester makes EZ load short sabots but dont know the purpose for short and longer sabots . then theres the MMP sabots in HPH 24 and the 3 PEDAL but doing searches makes me more confused. something about the plastics they use different than the Harvesters.
I do not use or shoot Barnes bullets so I can not help a lot there...

Harvester and MMP do use a different formulation of polymere in their sabots.

I believe the MMP to be a more pliable ploymere in cold weather than is the harvester. I believe it conforms more uniformly to the bore also. But there are a lot of Harvester users out there that really like them also.

See if this information will help you any... whoops I have to change computers...

OK here is the information...

http://www.barnesbullets.com/product...ader-accuracy/

Last edited by sabotloader; 11-12-2011 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Have you tried the Barnes T-EZ bullets? They're made to load easier.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:36 PM
Typical Buck

I'm one the of the Harvester fans. I shoot the CR Black out of my Omega with .452 300 grain Scorpion PT.

It shoots lights out and is 2 for 2 on deer. I'd say it's worth buying a pack for trial. Graphs sells them for 4.95 and free shipping with a $25 order.

You must need some other stuff
Old 11-12-2011, 02:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

I never used Barnes ML bullets. What is the diameter. Are they .452 or .458? If they are .458 then they would be hard to load. I'm thinking of trying .458 bullets in my ML so I need to see if sabots are available.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:11 PM
Spike

I shoot a NEF Huntsman which has tight bore dia. .501
and I use the MMP 3-petal ez and a .452 240gr. xtp
this combo fits good.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

barnes mz- fb-s are marked .451. guess i gota buy a few and do some homework. ive used the xtp-s for a few years. i use the Barnes slugs in my shotguns and they are devastating. we have a i week bear season in New Jersey and wanna give these a try. especially since we have a few 400- 500 lb bears running around.