Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
BH 209 - compatible with CVA Optima Pro & TC Impact? >

BH 209 - compatible with CVA Optima Pro & TC Impact?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

BH 209 - compatible with CVA Optima Pro & TC Impact?

Old 11-12-2011, 07:18 AM
Fork Horn

Default BH 209 - compatible with CVA Optima Pro & TC Impact?

Hey all-

I have a question for those that are more experienced with BP. I plan on shooting BH 209 and was wondering if the CVA Optima Pro & TC Impact is compatible with this powder?

If not, what suggestions are there to make them compatible?

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Brent
Old 11-12-2011, 07:40 AM
Fork Horn

Why would it not be compatable?, it's a black powder substitute.
My sons shoot 110 gr's--Volume measured out of their TC Encores & Omega's and get good accuracy.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:44 AM
Dominant Buck

I have read they are shooting it out of both rifles. Whether they had to change breech plugs I can not say.

I was looking at a black/blue Impact the other day for $249.00. It shouldered well but my concern was, if you mounted a scope on it, would it be hard to grab those two side release things to pull back, to open the action. Especially in Wisconsin in the winter with gloves on and twenty blow zero? Although I do like Thompson Center products.

I also looked at a Optima with a beginners kit at the Rothchild Gander Mountain for $289.00. Of course it was sealed in plastic so I could not play with it. And it did not have a fluted barrel. But it looked like a nice over all rifle.

Lone Wolf just picked up a nice Optima for a great price (I was tempted myself.. and he said he could order me one). That was the Bergra barrel and fluted, with a thumbhole stock.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:09 AM
Fork Horn

The issue is with the breech plugs for both. The BH209 can sometimes be unreliable to ignite and some have suggested breech plug mods to open up the flash channel and/or flash hole. Some threads suggest a vent liner mod.

Any further feedback anyone?
Thx!
Old 11-12-2011, 08:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by BigRack23
The issue is with the breech plugs for both. The BH209 can sometimes be unreliable to ignite and some have suggested breech plug mods to open up the flash channel and/or flash hole. Some threads suggest a vent liner mod.

Any further feedback anyone?
Thx!
either one of those two breech plugs will ignite BH reliably for most. Especially if you keep the flash channel clean. The only time they might give you a problem is at a range session where you might shoot 15-20 plus shots in a row without cleaning out the flash channel. Your local environment can also make a difference in the number of shots... but, for hunting you should not have a problem.

One other thing - niether of those two plugs were/are designed exactly for BH but they will work.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

The Tc guns all us Blackhorn with out a problem as long as you clean the carbon out of the breach plug flame channel every dozen shots or so most of us us a 1/8 inch drill with a handle.
About the Optima well the only one I know of is in our club and the owner is complaining of hang fires I have not had an opportunity to look at it for him so I do not know what is causing the problem.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Never had a hangfire with an Optima. Keep the flame channel clean, and the primer tight, and enjoy.

Read this to learn how to keep the primer tight.

http://gandersmuzzleloadingblog.blog...pem-clean.html

Last edited by Muley Hunter; 11-12-2011 at 10:50 AM.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Impact has a breech plug just like the Omega and non-speed breech Encore, so it should not be a problem at all. I've shot 20+ shots with BH209 without cleaning or swabbing my Omega.

CVA now offers an optional breech plug SPECIFICALLY for shooting BH209. It's only about $20. If you have an Optima, I would get the new breach plug before I try any other mods.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have the new BP. I still do the mod, because I don't like blowback.

If you get the new BP you won't have to use magnum primers. Some guys don't like the new BP. I love it.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by zakjak711
Why would it not be compatable?, it's a black powder substitute.
My sons shoot 110 gr's--Volume measured out of their TC Encores & Omega's and get good accuracy.
Because the Optima breech plug is not as reliable using this particular sub, as the breech plug in your son' rifle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.