Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shame on Cabelas

Old 11-10-2011, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Shame on Cabelas

Went to Cabelas today to pick up a pistol I had bought and decided to spend some time browsing the blackpowder section. First of all, the salespeople obviously had no experience at all with any muzzleloaders- I asked to look at the CVA Apex, and the salesperson starts fumbling around with a H & R break-action slug gun until I pointed him in the right direction.

Second, the selection of muzzy's at this store was disgraceful, to say the least. (keep in mind, this is a massive store with many hundreds if not a thousand guns on display)

There was not one traditional muzzy on display, other than a couple blackpowder pistols. In terms of inlines, they had about 10 - 12 assorted rifles, a few TC's, CVA's and Traditions. They had no Knights for sale. They did not have a TC Encore, Pro Hunter or CVA Accura for sale.

I guess maybe I'm expecting too much, but I would hope a store of that size should have a better selection....
Old 11-10-2011, 07:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

They impress me as hiring the same level of people as Walmart . I do not go there any more.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

At least they have ML guns and supplies. I went to the Academy Sports & Outdoors store in my area yesterday. It's a pretty large store with lots of cartridge guns and usually a few ML and a small ML supply section.

The ML stuff was not in its usual place. When I asked a salesperson where they moved the ML stuff to, he said "We stopped carrying ML supplies. Sales were too low." That's surely a factor of Louisiana allowing single shot cartridge rifles in the "primitive" season. The worst thing that ever happened in both Louisiana and Mississippi.

Academy is a Texas-based company that operates over 135 stores throughout Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't think they sell Knights. Their order would probably be too big for Knight right now.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

[QUOTE=Semisane;3874403]
Louisiana allowing single shot cartridge rifles in the "primitive" season. The worst thing that ever happened in both Louisiana and Mississippi.

Are you kidding me? That's crazy. Louisiana also allows hunting on Sundays, right? How many people out there hunt in a state that allows hunting on Sunday's. Maryland just started letting you hunt 1 Sunday during the deer firearms season a year or two ago. That's all we get.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well my Cabela's has a good selection of both inlines and sidelocks. But, they stopped selling a lot of things ML related. For instance, you can buy 50/44 or 50/45 sabots but they no longer carry 45/40s. That sucks. My store only has the pre-packed bullets with the sabots. A pretty good selection, granted - but not what they had before. The sales person, who is also a ML nut like me (there are actually 2 working there) told if it is the buyers who do those nutty things. They see it on TV and think it must be good.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Mine has a pretty good selection of MLs and most accessories except loose sabots. Grafs is just a few miles further away though and has a great sabot selection.

The sales guys though at Cabelas barely know anything about MLs or accessories.

BassPro though has nearly nothing.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess I'm just comparing it to other stores I have experience with. I went to another cabelas in PA last year when I was visiting my brother and they had lots of rifles, both traditional and inline and a good stock of supplies. The local gun/hunting shop in Ohio near where I hunt has about 3 times the muzzy supplies and rifles that the Cableas around here has, and that's a mom & pop business....
Old 11-11-2011, 06:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

[QUOTE=pluckit;3874468]
Originally Posted by Semisane
Louisiana allowing single shot cartridge rifles in the "primitive" season. The worst thing that ever happened in both Louisiana and Mississippi.

Are you kidding me? That's crazy. Louisiana also allows hunting on Sundays, right? How many people out there hunt in a state that allows hunting on Sunday's. Maryland just started letting you hunt 1 Sunday during the deer firearms season a year or two ago. That's all we get.
You can hunt here on Sunday.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Louisiana also allows hunting on Sundays, right?
You're kidding, right? Of course we can hunt on Sundays. Heck, you can buy booze in any grocery store on Sundays also.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.