Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Breech plug?

Old 11-09-2011, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flounder33
Personally I think having it all the way in keeps both the breech plug and the "shelf" (new term to me) from erroding. I have always used the grease but one of these days I am going to use the tape, not because the mess bothers me so much, but because I feel it creates a better seal between the barrel and the plug.
I have never heard the statistic that 75 percent of the shooters loosen the plug a bit after tightening it, (nor do I know how one would get that number), but I don't think it is the right thing to do.
For me triple 7 seems to make the plugs come out the hardest.
After reading many threads over the years, 75% is on the low side. And no you won't find a in stone number any place. You are good at finding old stuff so I'm sure you can do the math if you choose. BTW- mostly all the DWB''S did that in the past, I would bet most of them still do. I've been with them and witnessed that. But things always change.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

What's the point of doing it?. Do they think it will stick if they leave it tight?
Old 11-09-2011, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
What's the point of doing it?. Do they think it will stick if they leave it tight?
Not really sure but probably. Hopefully people are getting away from doing that. IMO, does not need to be done with any powder.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
You are good at finding old stuff so I'm sure you can do the math if you choose. BTW- mostly all the DWB''S did that in the past, I would bet most of them still do.
You talk about Endeavor treating people disrespectfully, I think it takes one to know one.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

You talk about Endeavor treating people disrespectfully, I think it takes one to know one.
You just did it the other night about the guy shooting powerbelts. You know EXACTLY what i'm talking about. I got your number as well. Again, say what you want to me i don't care.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

You know Grouse, here is something for you to think about. During the time you were banned we didn't have any of this crap on here and the day you came back it starts again.
Coincidence? I don't think so.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

You know Grouse, here is something for you to think about. During the time you were banned we didn't have any of this crap on here and the day you came back it starts again.
You noticed that also!
Old 11-09-2011, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree, you are correct. You believe in members being treated like idiots. You also believe in instigating those situations just like original post on this thread to me. And you also got the puppet on page with you as well. It makes all the sense in the world to me. Very good point on your part. And im done replying to your games on this thread. You and the puppet can have at it, but i'm not interested in it.

BTW- Builder, i don't see Muley down grading anyone like you.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's why I have him on ignore. Is he reading my posts?
Old 11-09-2011, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I have a CVA. I tighten it as hard as I can with the end of two fingers.

I do mine exactly the same way. Two finger tight with the tool that came with the rifle.

Only thing I can add is that the threads and shelf need to be completely clean. SabotLoader taught me that one.

I also only use anti-seize. I don't like the extra tightness the tape seems to add to the plug. Tom.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.