Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
massive mountaineer problem..... >

massive mountaineer problem.....

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

massive mountaineer problem.....

Old 11-05-2011, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

Default massive mountaineer problem.....

I purchased a mountaineer from a guy on here about a month ago. He said that he had only shot it a handful of times. It was really clean when I got, but he had left the breech plug in and it turned out quite hard. I looked at the threads and everything seemed fine. I haven't had a chance to shoot it until today. I shot it about five times and managed to load a bullet without any powder, so I tried to pull the plug out... thats when everything went wrong

You wouldn't believe how hard it turned out! I got it about two turns out and then couldn't turn it anymore. I was using a ratchet and a socket and still couldn't budge it! I used pink teflon tape just like I always have, the plug turned in a little hard, but no harder than any other gun with tape on the plug. When we got back to the house, me and my buddy pulled it from the stock and tried again; after working it back and forth for awhile it finally came out.

The threads on both the plug and the barrel with completely messed up! I have no idea what could have happened...the threads weren't even messed up in the same place, the plug's threads were messed up near the end (barrel side) and the barrel's were about half way. I don't think that there is anyway it could have been cross threaded, because the threads would have messed up the entire way, and I had to have the plug in all the way because I turned it in snug with a wrench and the bolt closed easily.

I am just about sick about it, I called knight and left a message. I really hope that they can do something about it, I really don't want a $600 paper weight.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

That sucks, and I feel for you.

It does sound like you cross threaded it though. Are the threads messed up in the barrel, or just the BP?
Old 11-05-2011, 10:17 AM
Fork Horn

I don't know how it could have been though.. You'd think that the threads would have been messed up the entire length. They are messed up in both the barrel and the plug, but only about a third of a turn on the plug
Old 11-05-2011, 10:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Maybe the barrel can be retapped, and a new BP.

I'm not fond of tape on a BP. I know a lot of guys use it, but grease works fine for me, and then I can take it out by hand.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:18 AM
Spike

If the gun has been shot with the breech plug dry(dry of grease) and loose it could have rolled the threades in the barrel and on the breech plug backwards . So when you put the plug back in it just jammed the threades together.That is why you probably got thread damage in two spots in the thread area . ( one going in and one comeing out)
Old 11-05-2011, 12:40 PM
Fork Horn

Well I bought the non jacket conversion for my disc extreme and when the plug got put in half way and stopped, I had a hell of a time getting it out.When I did get it out, I noticed several threads on the breech plug were rough and sharp.It also damage the first thread on my barrel as well but I being in a hurry didnt inspect the plug before my father in law put it in with a single pass of white tape.
My rifle was new in the box as well old stock though I think the plugs have a few issues now if you have had a problem like I did !!!!!
Old 11-05-2011, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Josh, you put pink tape on the plug and put it in the gun with no problem according to what I was reading. Now the threads are messed up after you shot it 5 times??? Send it back to Knight asap with a note in it. Maybe a coating issue but not sure.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:55 PM
Fork Horn

Josh, you put pink tape on the plug and put it in the gun with no problem according to what I was reading. Now the threads are messed up after you shot it 5 times??? Send it back to Knight asap with a note in it. Maybe a coating issue but not sure.
That's exactly what happened and hopefully what I am going to do. I've already called them and left a message.

When I did get it out, I noticed several threads on the breech plug were rough and sharp.
the threads on my bp are rough and sharp too. I almost wonder if they weren't just poorly cut. Like I said, when I first got it the plug came out really hard and of course I didn't think to test thread it back in to check the threads. I just thought that there might have been some residue on in it from where the previous owner had shot it.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:57 PM
Fork Horn

I really hope that the customer service is as good with the new owners as it is said to have been before...I'm just about sick about this!
Old 11-05-2011, 01:06 PM
Typical Buck

Man that stinks. I know I would be pretty upset. Hope everything works out for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.