Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
The devil's advocate >

The devil's advocate

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The devil's advocate

Old 11-03-2011, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am only about 4 years into muzzleloading. I have only one gun, an Omega X7. I get to the range maybe once every other week outside of hunting season. So I shoot much less than some, but quite a bit more than the "sight in once a year before the season" crowd.

BH209 is all I've ever used so I can't easily compare it to the other subs or true black powder. I do like the not swabbing and consistency of measuring/loading.

The main thing I like about the powder is its relative non-corrosiveness. Often, after getting back home from sneaking out to the range (or a hunt), life takes over and I'm dealing with my kids. Next thing I know, three days have passed and I have not yet gotten to cleaning my gun. Never had a corrosion problem. Even without trying the other subs, I am pretty sure I would regret not immediately cleaning my ML after a shoot.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well to each his own.
I spend 500 to a 1,000 dollars on a gun I spend time and money getting it set up so it will do what I expect when I do all that I just am not going to shoot any powder but what I like best in that gun, I just think that after getting the best of every thing else in my opinion it pretty cheesy to quibble over a few dollars difference.
And I have yet to have any experienced person that I had respect for tell me something else was better.
What other powder will give 2300 fps + with the same pressure that a 120 grain load of 777 produces? What other powder can you shoot all day and will maintain accuracy with out any swabbing or cleaning? When I used 777 I spent more of my shooting day cleaning out crud ring than all of the rest of the day put together, its is worth the difference in price just by it self for that not to mention getting fine accuracy with loads in a FPS range I could not get with reasonable pressure with any other powder.
Every body has the right to choose its still a free country, I am glad to see some people use Pyrodex and Black we need to keep them in business so we have powder for our Traditional guns they are fun to shoot to. I sincerely wish something as good or better than Blackhorn would come on the market as improvements come from competition but so far I see nothing that even is in the ballpark.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:12 AM
Fork Horn

Why I have not even tried BH209 (or T7 or pellets or ...)

1. Swiss is my powder of choice and it is too expensive most of the time, so I use GOEX. I learned to shoot with Gearhart-Owen.

2. I don't hunt primitive seasons, I am a primitive, neo-luddite hunter.

3. I like the smell of rotten eggs.

4. Swabbing between shots slows things down; makes shooting a couple of groups an afternoon afair.

5. BH209 or pellets look stupid in a flintlock pan.

P.S. Bless me father for I have sinned, I have used a couple of pounds of Pyrodex.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

You make some very good points Lee. I forgot to mention in my post that I mainly shoot conicals so my powder loads are very moderate in comparison to yours. The heavy loads that you shoot would cause a lot of barrel leading for me unless I started paper patching.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:49 AM
Banned

$27 shipped from Carlos. Most likely a better deal than can be found in any store.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Some very good answers. And in all honesty, about what I expected. As for that deal from Carlos.. that is a good deal. Especially if they pay the shipping. But does that powder require a hazmat fee?
Old 11-03-2011, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Simple answer. Buy a 5# cannister. They are a good bit less. And your local dealer should not have any problem getting it for you. Do you have a local guy that treats you fairly??

And you don't have to shoot it for your fun shoiting. I agree with you on that. I use straight black powder for that. a 5# cannister should last for awhile if you are just using it for targeting your hunting rifle, and hunting with the powder. Tom.

Last edited by HEAD0001; 11-03-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by HEAD0001
Simple answer. Buy a 5# cannister. They are a good bit less. And your local dealer should not have any problem getting it for you. Do you have a local guy that treats you fairly??

And you don't have to shoot it for your fun shoiting. I agree with you on that. I use straight black powder for that. a 5# cannister should last for awhile if you are just using it for targeting your hunting rifle, and hunting with the powder. Tom.
Tom, i am not sure that it is available in 5# containers (BH that is)

OK Semi answered that one - just never seen on any sites - course I was not looking for it either...

Last edited by sabotloader; 11-03-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Maybe one of you guys who knows Carlos should see what kind of deal he can make on the 5 lbs.

The Midway USA base price is $220. They don't say if that's a single canister or a case of 8 10 oz. canisters.

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/173...ubstitute-5-lb

Last edited by Semisane; 11-03-2011 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes it is definitely available in a 5# cannister. I have one on the way. My local dealer said he could get me one for $174. He said it would take about 3 weeks to get it. He buys from a large powder distributor who travels through our area once a month. And that distributor needs a lead time for all special orders.

I bought two 5# cannister's of Trail Boss last month. I am stocking up heavy on powder. I believe powder is going to really get dificult and expensive to buy in the near future. That is because I think Obama is going to get re-elected. So I have been hoarding components. I might even call him back and add a second 5# cannister of BH-209. It stores well. Tom.

Last edited by HEAD0001; 11-03-2011 at 12:55 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.