Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
The devil's advocate >

The devil's advocate

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The devil's advocate

Old 11-05-2011, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I'm not sure how anybody shoots T7 without getting a crud ring?.
You know, I never really knew what the crud ring really was until this year. For the first 5 years I used a muzzy, I just had a .45 cal CVA Hunterbolt. Always shot loose T7, and never got the "true" crud ring. I mean the gun would get a little more difficult to load after 3 or 4 shots with no swabbing, and accuracy would suffer, but that was it. I can shoot 20 times with no swabbing easy.

Then I got a CVA Wolf and it was only slightly worse.

This year I picked up a Knight Vision and discovered for real what this crud ring is.

I think the design of each gun, as well as several other factors can make a big difference.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:47 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Josmund

Originally Posted by gregrn43
The rem and white are #11 caps.
Those would be a no go for BH209.
Not necessarily since Blackhorn can be ignited by a #11 cap along with a booster charge of another powder.

See the following thread posted by MountainDevil54:

Duplexing Blackhorn209

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...ckhorn209.html

Last edited by arcticap; 11-06-2011 at 12:05 AM.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:03 AM
Spike

One of the best reasons is that you don't have to sift through a huge cloud of smoke to see your result, expecially when hunting. The velocity can't be matched by 777 or pyro IMO.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:20 AM
Dominant Buck

I was under the impression that velocities could be matched with Triple Seven. BlackHorn's advantage being with heavier projectiles it out performs in the velocity department. And also.. is 100 or 200 fps going to break the bank? Maybe on some ways a certain bullet can perform its intended final act. But I've shot a lot of Triple Seven in my time and never worried about power. Although you might be right, as I do not own a chronograph. That is one final step in this sport I have not made.

As for duplex loading BlackHorn 209.. its not the fact it would make it go off that concerns me. Its the fact in example; Greg shoots a White Rifle and a Remington 700 rifle with #11 caps. This has an exposed breech. I would not feel right to encourage anyone with an open breech to "make" Blackhorn go off. If BlackHorn was able to bury a chunk of 209 primer into my forehead from a Black Diamond.. I sure would not want that small copper #11 cap exploding from the back pressure in front of my face. This is just my opinion and I could be over cautious. Also there would be a reason why the manufacturer does not promote the use of their product in open breech design rifles as well.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

The velocities are so close to the same with loads under 110gr as to make no difference. Above 110 the heavier bullets show a noticeable increase right away and when I get to about 135 gr where the lighter bullets develop the pressure to burn BH [a progressive burn powder] then they leave 77 sharply behind.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:41 AM
Dominant Buck

what kind of velocities are you reaching with those charges Lee? And what rifle do you use?
Old 11-07-2011, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

cayugad,

Really good thread you have going here.

I would not consider a orange or Red plastic jacket Knight plug a closed or sealed primer pocket plug like Western Powders Recommends. IMO
Old 11-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Dominant Buck

I did not know that the primer jackets were not recommended. Blackhorn 209 shot so well out of my Knight with the orange discs. BUT it shot even better out of my Genesis.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
I did not know that the primer jackets were not recommended. Blackhorn 209 shot so well out of my Knight with the orange discs. BUT it shot even better out of my Genesis.
Look at the bottle and what they recommend, IMO they don't qualify. I do agree the red plastic jackets seems to work great in the new Knight plugs for sure.