Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Does this sound like a bad scope? >

Does this sound like a bad scope?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Does this sound like a bad scope?

Old 11-02-2011, 03:01 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Hold up a second. Seems to me that your first two shots are right. I didn't see where you said you adjusted the scope after these two shots or more. I think I would suspect the rifle/bedding. What kind of ML is it? I am thinking that maybe the heated up barrel is causing a different pressure point or amount of pressure changing the harmonics which would change the POI. If you had the time and/or the patience I would shoot 2 shots only from a cold clean barrel. Make any necessary scope adjustment and wait about 15 - 30 mins and a thorough cleaning. Then shoot 2 more.
The first one was a fouling shot and I have no idea where it went because I shot at the small target on the left side of the power but didn't hit the paper. I felt like I pulled it when I shot though, then the next two were the two that went right that you see on the paper. After seeing those I made a scope adjustment and shot the 3 shot group you see where it was one big hole right to the left of the bullseye. Realizing I'd gone to far, I moved it a click back, and shot at a new target that I didn't take a picture of, but it hit where I wanted it to in the center then.

As for the gun, I should have mentioned that above. It's a Marlin MLS-50 that is supposedly by for T/C for Marlin. It is not exact, but very similar to the Black Diamond rifles. I'm shooting 100 grains of Pyrodex in pellet form, and a 300 Grain Speer Deep Curl in a Harvester Crush Ribbed Sabot. I'm also using CCI Magnum #11 caps to light it all off.

I've also used Pyrodex in loose powder form and it shoots to the exact same POI and the groups are nearly identical in size. I normally shoot pellets in the field and powder on the range to save money, but this time I shot the pellets mostly since that's what I'd be hunting with, although I took a shot with the powder and it hit the same POI as usual as the pellets.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:09 PM
Fork Horn

One thought brought up on another forum is could temperature change do this? It was in July when I last shot it and I don't know what the temperature was, but I'd guess 85-95 degree's. It's been a lot colder since then, but it was fairly warm yesterday. While I don't know what the temperature was while I was shooting it, I'd guess 65 degrees or maybe 70 max. I had a jacket on while shooting and while I could have survived without it, it was the perfect day for a light jacket.

Do you all think that could affect where it shoots?
Old 11-02-2011, 03:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not anywhere near what you're getting.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well I wouldn't put much faith in a $30 scope. Now if you don't want to spend a bunch of money on a scope, you can pick up a Nikon Prostaff for <$150 which would serve you well. And a straight 4X would be even less and is all you need.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:25 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Well I wouldn't put much faith in a $30 scope. Now if you don't want to spend a bunch of money on a scope, you can pick up a Nikon Prostaff for <$150 which would serve you well. And a straight 4X would be even less and is all you need.
That's kind of how I feel, and I've actually got a Nikon Monarch I could slap on there, but I just hate to change it out if it's not bad. It's just sentimental reasons I guess. That's why I'm wondering if this is the sign of a bad scope.

If a scope going bad can act like this, or could be bad I will probably change it out, and I may do that anyway.

Last edited by slowr1der; 11-02-2011 at 06:36 PM.