Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
A rifle gave me the fits today >

A rifle gave me the fits today

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

A rifle gave me the fits today

Old 10-29-2011, 02:08 PM
Dominant Buck

Default A rifle gave me the fits today

How many of you.. after shooting a rifle on the target range say to yourself, this rifle is ready to hunt. I know I do. And today I was sure I was shooting one such rifle.

I had purchased some Pyrodex Pellets at Gander Mountain the other day. $24.00 for the 50 grain ones. I knew my Genesis liked pellets. And I was so sure of it.. I marched the target back to 100 yards (range finder) and loaded two pellets and a 250 grain Barnes MZ Expander. This rifles favorite load.

I swabbed between shots like normal, and shot four shots into a nice two inch group. Sounds good right? Well not when the group was six inches high over the bull. So I checked the mounts... tight. I looked the rifle over. All seemed in order.

I knew I had not bumped the scope. So I took it off and then put it back on. Quick release rings and all. Shot two more.. nice and tight, but even higher then the first group. Now I was stunned.

So the cap said.. 1/4 inch at 100 yards (Nikon Omega). Being six inches high, that would be 24 clicks... right? Wrong!! The next group was seven inch low, under the bull. So I settled for 12 clicks back up, and still low.

I am now suspecting the scope. But I mean.. this is a Nikon Omega. Well I ran out of Barnes so I got some XTP's and MPH -12 sabots. Loaded 100 grains and shot. Now its hitting three inches low.

Instead of making more adjustments and shooting more pellets and projectiles... I declared myself incompetent. I called it a day. Took the rifle into the house and took every part of it possible apart. I scrubbed each part spotless and put it back together.

I could not stand it any longer...

Now this rifle just last week at 51 yards shot a heck of a group. So I marched the NEW target out to 50 yards (range finder).. If its three inches low at 100 yards, I had no idea what to expect..

Fired a nice tight group and it was 3 inches low 6 o'clock under the bull. The same as it would have been at 100 yards. I decided to quit for the day because a tree was looking real good for a wrap job. I am going to throw a new scope on this thing and see what happens... BUT I really do trust the scope.

Could it have just been one of those days?
Old 10-29-2011, 02:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've never had faith in 6" low, so i'll move it 24 clicks. I just move a few clicks..shoot...few clicks..shoot until it's where I want it.

Everything points to you moving it down too far, and then never moving it back up.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sometimes they can drive you crazy. Now on the other hand, if you wouldn't have taken it out you would have been wondering how on earth you missed that deer at 75 yds?
Old 10-29-2011, 03:38 PM
Dominant Buck

Why it was that high in the first place the the first puzzle. But just the way it acted today, I mean the ignition was fine, I even felt that the aim and follow through was excellent. The groups kind of reflected that the aim and follow through was good. Just the difference in height was the real shocker.

I am going to try some Scorpions in it in the very near future.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:59 PM
Spike

for what it's worth did you happen to check the small screws on the turrets on your scope to see if they were loose?i had a nikon monarch a couple years back on a mz that was doing as your mz was doing today, an after i tighten those suckers up all was right again......hope this helps, but you probably already checked that.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:04 PM
Dominant Buck

No I did not. But I will. Thanks for the tip.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Dave - I'm just wondering about reassembly it there was something you did different. But as I recall there is not too much to the disassembly/assembly of a Genesis that could change the POI that much, if at all. The only thing I can think of is that the forearm may be applying pressure in a different spot? Maybe its just he weather change or - it could be that new lot of pellets?
Old 10-30-2011, 05:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Dave, I ran into a similar problem and when I finally pinned it down it was a different lot of sabots that was slightly thicker, now I mic each lot and buy them in lots of 500 and check the lot number through out the lot before I store them.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:59 AM
Dominant Buck

The sabots were the same for the Barnes as they are factory included. The only thing that might have been different was the swab liquid. I used Simple Green and before it was probably Rusty Duck Black Off.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

Do any of your other rifles like the Pyrodex Pellets? If so, try them in one of your other rifles. Maybe the pellets are bad or otherwise different. Afterall, it is a new lot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.