Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
A rifle gave me the fits today >

A rifle gave me the fits today

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

A rifle gave me the fits today

Old 10-30-2011, 08:14 AM
Dominant Buck

I have considered exactly doing that. It very well might be the pellets.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you reead my post in the general guns had a similar issue with a nikon prostaff on my tikka .243 there 1/4 clicks are doo doo and I have changed to scope rings and bases with a scope that I know drives tacks, if it isn't the scope i will know then i have a rifle issue
Old 11-01-2011, 02:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also suspect the pellets and/or the sabots. I have seen different point of impact when shooting in cold weather, after sighting in during warm weather.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't worry about the clicks on your scope being an actual "1-click = 1/4 MOA." I don't think most scopes in that price range have super accurate adjustment steps. I know my Leupold Ultimate Slam, which in all other ways I LOVE, sucks when it comes to sighting in. For my next scope I am definitely going to consider the Weaver scopes with the Micro-Trac adjustment system, which may be an exception to the rule where price range and adjustment accuracy are concerned.

How do your QR rings attach? Do they attach to a picatinny mount? I have QR rings for my Aimpoint sight on my M1A. I find that when the lever is in the open position and the sight is resting on the mount (i.e. in position, ready to be locked down), there is a small amount of play back and forth (muzzle to breech). If you find the same with yours, you will want to push the scope forward as you lock the levers down, as that is the direction the scope would move under recoil. It has a definite impact on POI for me if I don't do that.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

double post

Last edited by 7.62NATO; 11-01-2011 at 05:49 AM.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:27 AM
Dominant Buck

I checked over the scope last night and all seemed in order. Also the Quick release rings seem to fit nice and tight. I am going to shoot the rifle as soon as it stops raining here, and see what it will do. I will sight it in at 50 yards and then see what the drop is at 100. Maybe just go from there.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

The QR is nice and tight before you throw the lever to lock it down?
Old 11-01-2011, 11:19 AM
Dominant Buck

That Genesis was causing me sleepless moments where I would lay there and think about what could be the problem. Was it the scope? The new pellets? Sabots? Maybe the way I was swabbing? And I was itching to get back out to 100 yards and shoot that thing again.

Today there was a very light drizzle. And at times it would stop. When I was taking my morning walk, I kept saying.. this drizzle is nothing. If I can walk in it, I can shoot in it. Saw some real nice deer sign on the walk too. But all the tracks lead to my yard. I have an area of new grass planted and they are in there eating that at night. Anyway back to the Genesis.

So I decided to brave the drizzle, slight wind and cold temperatures and shoot. I got all set to go out and then read my Genesis file. Crushed Rib sabots not the HPH-12 was a factor. Black powder VS Pyrodex Pellets was a good worker. So I took out a pound of Schuetzen 2f Black Powder, Winchester W209 primers, 300 grain .452 XTPs and some Harvester Crushed Rib sabots.

The picture above shows the first group at 98 yards actually. A little low (from all my monkey business the other day) and to the right. The first group was 2 plus inches but there are several shots in that group. And the first three were almost a clover leaf. I was so relieved to see the group, I just kept shooting, waiting for dooms day to hit again.

I then went two clicks to the left and two clicks up to see how far the group would move. And the adjusted group did show a little movement. I was going to move up a little more but instead decided to see if I could slip a shot. So I wanted to shoot one shot just above the bull. Well it did that fine. And since I will never shoot out to 100 yards, I decided leave well enough alone (and get a good nights sleep). Funny how a rifle can bug me like that.

So was it the power or the sabots? I suspect.. the sabots. Next time out I am going to try pellets again, and if they don't work I will swear off them for life. But the rifle is ready to hunt again...
Old 11-01-2011, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd be willing to bet it's the scope. Because it's a good scope doesn't mean diddly. I have a Leupold VariX II I used for several years. I just sighted it in the day before. 2" high at 100 yards (7mm Rem Mag). I shot at a nice buck off the rest at 224 yds. I knew I hit him but he was staggering away. I shot a couple more times. I went looking and found no blood but I knew I hit him. A couple hrs later a few of us went tracking. The wife spotted him. He'd get up and fall. Turns out I had shot his front legs. We finished him off. I went right to the range at the club. No way I could have pulled it that much and missed the other shots. That scope was way off. I resighted it.Day or two later I got another easy shot and missed him. Back to the range and the scope was way off again. I sent it to Leupold and they supposedly corrected it.I mounted it on another rifle and haven't fired it since. That's why I say I'll be willing to bet it's the scope. In all my years of hunting and shooting that was the first scope I ever had go bad. I'd suggest sending it back to Nikon.

And that 1/4" per click at 100 yards. I've never had a scope that was as they say. I make a few clicks and shoot it.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:47 PM
Dominant Buck

Well I am going to shoot it again in the very near future and see if it is still on target. But your advice is well heeded. I will watch out for it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.