Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

crud ring

Old 10-28-2011, 05:39 PM
Spike

Default crud ring

I know this has probably been discussed before
but can someone tell me if a crud ring can dramatically
affect accuracy
Old 10-28-2011, 06:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes it can. Thats why you have to scrub it out before loading the next shot. If a bullet is held up of the powder a number of things could happened none of them good.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you can get the next shot loaded.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes. If you are getting the crud ring it is usually necessary to swab between shots. I used a 50/50 mix of windex and rubbing alcohol with one patch, then 1 or 2 dry patches. I get the crud ring more in some rifles than others, no idea why. I have tried using T7 primers and loose FFFG T7 which seems to produce less of a crud ring in some rifles. I have 2 CVA's - with one the crud ring is really not an issue, and I can shoot multiple times without swabbing with only minimal degradation of accuracy. The other CVA gets a moderate crud ring that needs swabbing, although I can shoot 2 to 3 times in a pinch. My Knight gets the crud ring really bad, and I absolutely have to swab between each shot.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:19 PM
Banned

yep any time you start reducing a size of a hole yet still use the same projectile as you did on a clean bore, pressure is going to start building up higher and higher each shot that its not cleaned out. That will kill accuracy.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:26 PM
Spike

Default Crud ring

I had this problem when I first got my encore, I havnt had a ring since I switched to ffg T7 and T7 caps. my go to load is 110 gr FFg T7 and 245 barnes with T7 cap !!!!!!!!
Old 10-29-2011, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use T7 as well out of two of my rifles. I just swab between each shot and don't have problem.