Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
What to cover end of barrel with when it rains >

What to cover end of barrel with when it rains

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What to cover end of barrel with when it rains

Old 10-26-2011, 10:39 AM
Banned

http://gandersmuzzleloadingblog.blog...your-bore.html
Old 10-26-2011, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just keep the muzzle pointing down and your hand or the front/bottom of your coat over the breech or nipple and you should be fine. Most of the time I will avoid going hunting in the rain because it can be a miserable experience and I like to have a good time when I hunt . But I have been known to go in the rain and the above methods for keeping your powder dry have always worked for me.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by pluckit
Just keep the muzzle pointing down and your hand or the front/bottom of your coat over the breech or nipple and you should be fine. Most of the time I will avoid going hunting in the rain because it can be a miserable experience and I like to have a good time when I hunt . But I have been known to go in the rain and the above methods for keeping your powder dry have always worked for me.
I used to say that too. Then one day I slipped and stuffed the muzzle in the snow.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:47 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by hubby11
Gimpy, I just realized that since I switched to open sights this year, the finger cot will not work - covers up the front sight. I have used electrical tape in the past. Never took a shot, but was always a little concerned that the thick tape would throw off the point of impact. Have you notices any change in accuracy?
Well i did'nt do any target shooting with the tape on. But have shot a lot of deer with it on. I think the accuracy is fine. Works for me. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:13 PM
Spike

i'm planning on cutting the thumb off a pair of xl large latex gloves, it should work just fine.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:09 PM
Fork Horn

You can also use a small balloon stretched tight on the muzzle. Stays put like the finger cots do and you wont have to mess with tape. Real cheap- you can get them at the dollar store. Just make sure it's the small kind so it stretches tight when you install it.

I will throw a couple in my pocket when I think I might be in for nasty weather that day. I have used these in downpours with great success in the past. They havent affected my point of aim/impact, I have taken a few deer with them on in the past 5 years or so.

Last edited by quake; 10-27-2011 at 03:34 AM.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's been proven that anything you put on the end of the barrel effects accuracy a little bit. Probably not enough for hunting, but I don't take chances and peal it off before shooting anyway. Why take any chances?
Old 10-27-2011, 03:33 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
It's been proven that anything you put on the end of the barrel effects accuracy a little bit. Probably not enough for hunting, but I don't take chances and peal it off before shooting anyway. Why take any chances?
I wont dispute that. You are correct. If I was going to take a shot at long distance/yardage I would definitely take it off. Like you said, why take chances?

Believe it or not, I sometimes like to still-hunt in the rain. In this case, I usually only have time to raise gun, aim, and fire. And only at fairly close range.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also use saran wrap held in place with a small rubber band. Haven't had any issues so far...
Old 10-27-2011, 07:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by quake
I wont dispute that. You are correct. If I was going to take a shot at long distance/yardage I would definitely take it off. Like you said, why take chances?

Believe it or not, I sometimes like to still-hunt in the rain. In this case, I usually only have time to raise gun, aim, and fire. And only at fairly close range.
I agree, and when hunting in the rain I usually leave it on too for quick shots. That's why I like the saran wrap. It's so thin it didn't seem to affect accuracy when I checked it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.