Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Giramrod/spinjag

Old 10-14-2011, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by donjose
Have to get back on there sight, I thought the G3 broke down in to 3 sections?
Indeed it does, i didn't order a G3
Old 10-14-2011, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by lemoyne
Well, I hope you like it let us know with some pictures. I don't know much about those bought ones other than the ones that come with the guns I have always made my own from aluminium doll I just center drill both ends after I cut them to length and tap them 10-32. My range rod is a different story made by Lehigh it is the best I have ever seen by far and away.
Lee it's solid aluminum cut to order with the spin jag, according to your rifles dimensions.my factory ram rod that came with the Triumph has served me well..
Old 10-15-2011, 05:17 PM
Spike

Post My opinion on this jag

Guys,

I think it's time to get back to basics. I think the best part of this jag (original) is to properly clean the rifling (allows the fouling and plastic/copper/lead to be displaced from it instead of stuck on the edges). It's very easy and convenient to load with the jag before going into the woods, however (at least I do) have to remove the jag in order to replace the ram rod into the guns holder (encore pro-hunter). I find that after the first shot spending time to attach the jag onto the rod is very time consuming and doesn't reflect a great deal of advantages IMHO, especially if you use a sabot. If you're so worried about accuracy past 200 yrds, you are most likely using a sabotted bullet anyways in which the plastic very easily grasps the rifling even if it gets scratched going into the barrel.

One thing I do like about my rod (haha) is that it has the handle which makes it easier to grasp the rod and supply firm pressure while loading without the use of another tool. I suppose you could use a different ram rod that doesnt have this handle so you could leave the jag on the muzzle side in which you could leave the jag right on the rod.

What are your thoughts?
Old 10-15-2011, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 1shotmakeitcount
Guys,

I think it's time to get back to basics. I think the best part of this jag (original) is to properly clean the rifling (allows the fouling and plastic/copper/lead to be displaced from it instead of stuck on the edges). It's very easy and convenient to load with the jag before going into the woods, however (at least I do) have to remove the jag in order to replace the ram rod into the guns holder (encore pro-hunter). I find that after the first shot spending time to attach the jag onto the rod is very time consuming and doesn't reflect a great deal of advantages IMHO, especially if you use a sabot. If you're so worried about accuracy past 200 yrds, you are most likely using a sabotted bullet anyways in which the plastic very easily grasps the rifling even if it gets scratched going into the barrel.

One thing I do like about my rod (haha) is that it has the handle which makes it easier to grasp the rod and supply firm pressure while loading without the use of another tool. I suppose you could use a different ram rod that doesnt have this handle so you could leave the jag on the muzzle side in which you could leave the jag right on the rod.

What are your thoughts?
We shall see how well the spin jag works, when it comes in the mail.according to spin jags site and my measurements. the spin jag will not exceed the end of the barrel when attached to the ram rod on my Triumph.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by builder459
We shall see how well the spin jag works, when it comes in the mail.according to spin jags site and my measurements. the spin jag will not exceed the end of the barrel when attached to the ram rod on my Triumph.
In my case I could not afford to have 'Spin Jag' on each one of my gun rods... I do on each of the range rods.... but on the gun rods I end up cutting them to length and installing a TC Super jag - not near as good as a 'Spin Jag' but lot less expensive... and heck I only use the gun rod once or twice a year...

This is the one on my Omega - Omega rod cut to length and jag installed...

Old 10-15-2011, 06:40 PM
Typical Buck

I leave my spinjag attached to my ramrod. I just cut to length a tc ramrod and its is flush with the barrel.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well i ordered my new gi ram rod and spin jag on the 15th and received the notification from the USPS it was ready for pick up on the 18th.everything was as advertised,the length is absolutely perfect and the rod is indeed solid aluminum.it also came with instructions and information on many other products they offer. once i actually use the spin jag, i will report on it's performance compared to a standard jag.