HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Giramrod/spinjag
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2011, 05:17 PM
1shotmakeitcount
Spike

Post My opinion on this jag

Guys,

I think it's time to get back to basics. I think the best part of this jag (original) is to properly clean the rifling (allows the fouling and plastic/copper/lead to be displaced from it instead of stuck on the edges). It's very easy and convenient to load with the jag before going into the woods, however (at least I do) have to remove the jag in order to replace the ram rod into the guns holder (encore pro-hunter). I find that after the first shot spending time to attach the jag onto the rod is very time consuming and doesn't reflect a great deal of advantages IMHO, especially if you use a sabot. If you're so worried about accuracy past 200 yrds, you are most likely using a sabotted bullet anyways in which the plastic very easily grasps the rifling even if it gets scratched going into the barrel.

One thing I do like about my rod (haha) is that it has the handle which makes it easier to grasp the rod and supply firm pressure while loading without the use of another tool. I suppose you could use a different ram rod that doesnt have this handle so you could leave the jag on the muzzle side in which you could leave the jag right on the rod.

What are your thoughts?