Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
traditional vs. modern >

traditional vs. modern

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

traditional vs. modern

Old 10-13-2011, 04:35 AM
Typical Buck

Default traditional vs. modern

Well i was just wondering what most people prefer. I know alot of guys on this forum shoot both and for different reasons i suppose. I personally like the traditional route. Although i am just getting started i have found this route to have alot of meaning and purpose. I for one do not hunt with a muzzleloader just for "another season" but more because of the history the rifles stand for. Here in south dakota you cannot have a scope on a muzzleloader during the muzzleloader season so therefore in this state why not shoot traditional. I can probably come close to matching roundballs for conicals or saboted bullets at 75 or 100 yrds with open sights accuracy wise and i can do it at alot cheaper price so why not. I have tried both inlines and sidelocks and i personally never care if i touch another inline. This is just my side of the story and i am not neccasarily trying to ruffle any feathers here i just want to hear other peoples view.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's like most things in life, it's personal prefrence.

I hunt with both. The states I hunt (execpt CO) allow scopes and sabots during ML season but sometimes I just choose not to use them.

I will say this, if I'm going into an area like Fort Campbell where I know the probablily of killing a wall hanger exists, I will be using an inline.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

I like both, I can hunt with both. I have one original and one traditional that I built from a set of plans I got from the St Louis museum 40 years ago and 3 TC's Hawken and Renegades that I won or bought years back and I enjoy all of them but I also enjoy my 3 newer close breach inlines. There is no rule about what a person should shoot and a broad minded individual should be able to enjoy all kinds here I can hunt with all kinds which makes it even better.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:36 AM
Dominant Buck

I own and hunt with both styles. I have no problem with someone only using a traditional style rifle. After all personal choice is what this sport is all about. Use what makes you happy and don't worry what others thing.

Personally I never know what I am going to hunt with from day to day. A mood hits me and then I grab what draws my attention.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I own both and use both, however I prefer traditional. About the only time one of my in-lines sees action is during the regular "anything goes" firearms season. We can use any style ML (flint or perc., scopes or iron) in our early antlerless only season and I use an open sighted flintlock or sidelock perc. depending on weather. Late ML season is flint only with open sights. No scopes or peeps allowed.....BPS
Old 10-13-2011, 08:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

Got both. Like both. But shoot the traditionals more often.

I really like my sidehammers with Green Mountain "Long Range Hunter" barrels. They shoot sabot loads just as well as do inlines. To me, they are the best of both worlds (if you can live without Blackhorn).
Old 10-13-2011, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well i was just wondering what most people prefer.
Agree with the others: I shoot traditional, it does not bother me one way or the other what someone else shoots.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have 3 inlines, but my next purchase will be a Lyman Great Plains rifle. I think inlines are a good way for a newbie to make the transition from smokeless firearms to black powder. They also have the advantages of being more rain-resistant and having a longer range in general (especially when scoped). I love my inlines, but can't wait to buy a traditional rifle and get started with it. The history of the traditional rifles really appeals to me...
Old 10-13-2011, 10:29 AM
Fork Horn

For about 15 years, starting in the early '90's, I used only traditional guns, cap and flint, to deer hunt in all firearms seasons. It started when I moved to a shotgun only state (Indiana), and quickly decided a muzzleloader was a better choice for me, having started hunting with centerfire rifles. I even adopted it for my out of state hunting.

Over the years , my Indiana hunting buddies moved away, and I was down to Kentucky hunting only. I went back to bolt action centerfires and optics, and found them to greatly enhance my shooting, mostly due to the optics. A few years back, I picked up a Knight Wolverine out of a closeout bin at a local archery shop, and discovered how handy and accurate it was.

I still have the Traditional guns, but I know at my age, I am better off using a scoped gun when I intend to kill something. I figure I owe to the animal.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:51 AM
Banned

i shoot both. What do i prefer? Both.... LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.