Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Sight Question

Old 10-05-2011, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Sight Question

I have an old Navy Arms Carbine Muzzle loader, The front sight is a blade kind of thin, I haven't shot in about 10 years, My eye sight has change so I have to wear Eye Glasses now and I can hardly see this thin front site, what would you recommend I replace this sight with ? Or what is available out there ?
Old 10-05-2011, 05:44 PM
Dominant Buck

If a thin blade sight is too hard to see, try painting it first. I use model builders paint and painting it white or green can help your eyes pick it up. If not you will have to do to a fatter sight.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

They sell fluorescent paint for sights too. It might help.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm not familiar with that model Kosherboy. It the sight in a dovetail or screwed on?

Welcome to the Black Powder forum.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane View Post
I'm not familiar with that model Kosherboy. It the sight in a dovetail or screwed on?

Welcome to the Black Powder forum.
Thank you all , I'm not sure what a dove tail is but this one is not screwed on, seems like it could be hammer out, I wish I didn't have to move it as it is deadly at 100 yards.
I think I'm going to try and paint it as suggested with some fluorecent first , but if there is something I can replace it with I will.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like a dovetail. You should have lots of options for new sights.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Williams make a lot of dovetail sights for muzzleloaders. But you will need to know what height you need. And from what I've learned, they measure from the bottom of the dovetail to the top of the sight blade and not the blade itself. This will save you from ordering you the wrong sight.
This is an image of a dovetail sight:

Last edited by bronko22000; 10-06-2011 at 01:06 AM.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000 View Post
Williams make a lot of dovetail sights for muzzleloaders. But you will need to know what height you need. And from what I've learned, they measure from the bottom of the dovetail to the top of the sight blade and not the blade itself. This will save you from ordering you the wrong sight.
This is an image of a dovetail sight:
Thanks I haven't found one that fits this rifle , so I went sticking a white paper label and I can see the blade better, until I contact the Navy arms manufacturer and see if they make a better front side. Thank you for the replies.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Get in Track of the Wolf...They make front sights with different blade thicknesses, materials and also different size dovetails...
Old 10-09-2011, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nchawkeye View Post
Get in Track of the Wolf...They make front sights with different blade thicknesses, materials and also different size dovetails...
Thanks