Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Knight Disc Questions >

Knight Disc Questions

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight Disc Questions

Old 10-09-2011, 02:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default Knight Disc Questions

As I stated in my other thread, I am having some second thoughts about my decision to buy an Omega. A knight Disc is probably my next choice, but I have a few questions. My first question is how long do you think that the NFPJ will last? I see that they brazed the vent liner in (seems silly to me but whatever) so that means that a replacement plug would be $40 or so instead of the cost of just a vent liner. Secondly, has anyone ever tried to float the barrel on one? While looking at one at the store, I noticed that they only have the one action screw/lug which I would think would make it impossible to float the barrel, has this been a problem for accuracy for anyone? Thanks!
Old 10-09-2011, 02:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by josh...just josh
As I stated in my other thread, I am having some second thoughts about my decision to buy an Omega. A knight Disc is probably my next choice, but I have a few questions. My first question is how long do you think that the NFPJ will last? I see that they brazed the vent liner in (seems silly to me but whatever) so that means that a replacement plug would be $40 or so instead of the cost of just a vent liner.
I like you do not like the thought of the brazed in vent liner... but because of legal concerns Knight was forced to make this specification....

I personally have 500 shots on one of the old style vent liners in one of my 45 and see absolutely no wear.

I have one of the new conversions that I have 90 shots through and I am unable to measure the wear as of yet. So I must say I do not know how long it might last... One Forum member on this forum says that he has shot one to .035 with as little as 100+ shots. I do not see that happening with the one that I am currently shooting but I am not sure at what point it might wear.

There is always the solution of dilling the current liner out and tapping to install a new liner as Ron did.

Secondly, has anyone ever tried to float the barrel on one? While looking at one at the store, I noticed that they only have the one action screw/lug which I would think would make it impossible to float the barrel, has this been a problem for accuracy for anyone? Thanks!
No floating is really easy - but if you are referring to a new mountaineer, it is my understanding they come bedded to the stock. Each one is checked out the door. I have not actually seen or handled one but that is what I have been told. All new Knight's come with the forked recoil lug. If you would take one apart you would be able to see the length on the recoil lug effects the tilt the barreled action gets in the stock.

I hope this gives you some food for thought...
Old 10-09-2011, 02:37 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sabotloader

No floating is really easy - but if you are referring to a new mountaineer, it is my understanding they come bedded to the stock. Each one is checked out the door. I have not actually seen or handled one but that is what I have been told. All new Knight's come with the forked recoil lug. If you would take one apart you would be able to see the length on the recoil lug effects the tilt the barreled action gets in the stock.
I'm actually thinking about the disc extreme. Does the Disc really have the recoil lug? That might just seal the deal for me!
Old 10-09-2011, 02:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by josh...just josh
I'm actually thinking about the disc extreme. Does the Disc really have the recoil lug? That might just seal the deal for me!
Yes the DISC Extreme is now fitted with the older Knight DISC Elite recoil lug, as well as the mountaineer...

josh - check your pm's
Old 10-09-2011, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Myself, i have purchased 2 of them nfpj plugs. The first plug with the brazed in vent liner had the flash hole in the vent liner erode to 0.035" in 108 shots. At that time i drilled out the vent liner, and kinda reworked the threads. A new vent liner was installed, and has worked good. Drilling out the brazed vent liner dulled my drills, but it seemed worthwhile to me, so i will do it again on the second nfpj.

The second nfpj now has 87 shots through it. It's flash hole has eroded to 0.034" at this time.

I kinda thought the rapid erosion rate of the first plug was an anomally, but it turns out both these plugs show/showed similar rates of erosion.

The rapid erosion of these plugs is not considered an issue by me, because the brazed in vent liner is readily removed. Chances are i won't ever purchase another nfpj plug; the ones i have will last me hundreds, or perhaps even thousands of shots.

I have done a little experimenting with free floating the barrel on my 2 disc rifles. I can't say i have the answer, but what i ended up doing is shimming the stock with tape just ahead of the lug screw, and also doing some sanding in the barrel channel. My rifles are both shooting better now than they did when new, but perhaps it is just because they are becoming 'broken' in.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:59 PM
Fork Horn

It seems like it would be quite hard to drill out a hardened steel vent liner! When the time comes, I might have to pick your brain for the best way to do it. I am almost definitely going with a Knight now!