Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

high winds

Old 09-30-2011, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default high winds

what is the highest winds would you try to shoot in at the range?

mine, highest is 20mph
Old 10-01-2011, 05:18 AM
Dominant Buck

Well I have shot in some very strong winds. I wanted to see how the wind effected the bullets. But if you're going out to test a load for consistency and accuracy, I would not even try if the winds were gusting to hard. Its funny but when I walk outside, I know whether IMO the winds are too strong to shoot. Yet we hunt in strong winds. So don't be afraid of them, but take them at what they are worth and understand they will effect your shot.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
Well I have shot in some very strong winds. I wanted to see how the wind effected the bullets. But if you're going out to test a load for consistency and accuracy, I would not even try if the winds were gusting to hard. Its funny but when I walk outside, I know whether IMO the winds are too strong to shoot. Yet we hunt in strong winds. So don't be afraid of them, but take them at what they are worth and understand they will effect your shot.
So how much did they affect your shots? I've never tested it out in a muzzle loader.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have shot my rifles in some fairly windy conditions over the years. To be honest it really depends on how the wind is blowing. A head or tail wind really has no effect what so ever on your bullets.

Plus I never worry much on shooting out to 50 or 100 yards.

So unless I am officially sighting in my rifle for a hunt then I like to shoot in different and varying winds. IMO I consider it good practice for field conditions.

Cross winds can be very tough on round balls. And they are also noticable on large conicals when shooting to 100 yards or beyond. But for 100 yards shooting and less the wind is not a big issue. Unless it is a full 90* wind. And how often does that actually happen?? Tom.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

If its over 10mph crosswind, i wont shoot for groups past 50 yards. I will plink or practice shooting a known good load in a heavier wind just to see the POI variations.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

At the rate things are going I wouldn't care if it was blowing 70 MPH. I want to get out and shoot. Besides at the short ranges most of us shoot (50 yds), the wind has to be blowing pretty good to throw a heavy slug off course too much. At 100 yds you may notice a difference, especially with one of those new tack driving inlines.