Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
sabots for sidelocks >

sabots for sidelocks

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

sabots for sidelocks

Old 09-19-2011, 08:36 AM
mountaineer magic

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
A PRB will kill anything at 75 yds, and your gun along with you will be smiling when you do.
That is true, but my renegade won't shoot a prb , if you do , it curves really bad. So sabots are the best choice for it.
Must be the 1:28 twist barrel

Old 09-19-2011, 08:37 AM
Spike

I shoot Hornady .40 caliber 180 grain XTP and HAP bullets with .40/.45 MMP sabots in my .45 TC Hawken with 1:48 twist. They shoot quite well. The longer 200 grain SSTs and SW bullets do not shoot as well as the shorter 180 bullets.

Therefore, I would suggest that you try the shorter, lighter bullets, as opposed to the longer heavier ones, in view of the relatively slow barrel twist.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by chetmarks
That is true, but my renegade won't shoot a prb , if you do , it curves really bad. So sabots are the best choice for it.
Must be the 1:28 twist barrel

Try using the barrel the gun came with. Mine shot 2" groups at 100yds with PRB's. Plenty accurate enough for hunting.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:45 AM
mountaineer magic

Try using the barrel the gun came with. Mine shot 2" groups at 100yds with PRB's. Plenty accurate enough for hunting.
that is the barrel the gun came with, at least when I bought it from someone on here. Now as far as the factory barrel , well I wouldn't know about that since I am not the original owner.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

I can't argue with that Muley. If I were never going to shoot farther than 75 yards I could probably live quite comfortably with round balls only. But even at 75 yards a sabotted bullet gives you more shot angle options.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

that is the barrel the gun came with, at least when I bought it from someone on here. Now as far as the factory barrel , well I wouldn't know about that since I am not the original owner.
The Renegade barrel should have a 1-48 twist. Not ideal for a RB, but better than what you have.

Did you make a typo?
Old 09-19-2011, 09:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Try using the barrel the gun came with. Mine shot 2" groups at 100yds with PRB's.
I would guess a 1:48 twist that does that with a decent hunting load is the exception, not the rule.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Roundballs will be my first option followed by buffalo ballets, then a conical - maxihunters or maxiballs - will see what she likes and go from there
Old 09-19-2011, 09:10 AM
mountaineer magic

The Renegade barrel should have a 1-48 twist. Not ideal for a RB, but better than what you have.

Did you make a typo?
No, no typo. I bought it from a forum member and it didn't have a factory barrel. It had a GM 1:28 twist 45 cal barrel on it. I knew that before I bought it of course.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

No, no typo. I bought it from a forum member and it didn't have a factory barrel. It had a GM 1:28 twist 45 cal barrel on it. I knew that before I bought it of course.
That explains why it doesn't like a PRB. Your barrel was made for modern ammo. It's like shooting a PRB in an inline. It sort of works with light loads at short distances, but fails with hunting loads.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.